cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG7720 Scan function and MacOS 14 Sonoma

warpdrve
Apprentice

Hello Canon Community:

My old Mac Mini (running MacOS Catalina) was recently replaced with the latest Mac Mini model (M2 chip, MacOS Sonoma). I used "Time Machine" to get the new Mac up and running but it did not recognize the printer. After contacting Apple, they were able to help get my printer working, just like before. However, I never tried to access the scanner until a few weeks after that. I am consistently getting a communications error. Back with Apple's technical support they were unable to get the scanner to be recognized and suggested I call Canon.

Note: According to Canon's website, MacOS Sonoma is NOT supported by the MG7720 (although I was able to get the printer function to work 100% as advertised, included accessing printer utilities).

After an hour of frustration, navigating Canon's various phone menus, I was able to get an actual person on the phone. Unfortunately, since I've had this printer for quite a number of years, it is no longer eligible for free technical support and Canon wanted to charge me $19.95 for 30-day support. I declined since I can still scan from my MacBook Air (running MacOS Monterrey). On a side note, as a loyal Canon user (my first Canon camera was purchased in 1970), I found this a bit disappointing as far as customer support goes.

Notes: My printer is connected via wired LAN and it has the latest firmware installed. I also have the latest version of the Canon Scan Utility (ver 2 and Lite). I read somewhere to try connected the printer via USB however, that returned the same results. 

I'm reaching out to this community ... someone else must be having a similar issue? Thanks in advance.

Here's a screen grab of the actual error message when I try to access the scanner through the Scan Utility. So far, I have found nothing wrong with my connections.

Screenshot 2023-12-21 at 7.16.02 PM.png

<mike>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

While the printer is not supported with that OS, you can try installing the scanner driver from a previous operating system. 

Please click HERE and select software and drivers and then change the operating system listed to MacOS Monterey V12. Then download and install the ICA Driver Ver.5.0.0 and IJ Scan Utility Lite Ver.4.1.1. Once both are installed, remove and add the printer back and try to scan using IJ scan Utility. 

Please be advised this is a work around and the ICA driver was not designed for MacOS Sonoma so we can't promise it will be supported correctly.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi,

While the printer is not supported with that OS, you can try installing the scanner driver from a previous operating system. 

Please click HERE and select software and drivers and then change the operating system listed to MacOS Monterey V12. Then download and install the ICA Driver Ver.5.0.0 and IJ Scan Utility Lite Ver.4.1.1. Once both are installed, remove and add the printer back and try to scan using IJ scan Utility. 

Please be advised this is a work around and the ICA driver was not designed for MacOS Sonoma so we can't promise it will be supported correctly.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

PERFECT ! ! !

That absolutely did the trick and the scanner appears to be working correctly (both Scan Utility Lite and Scan Utility 2). Thanks Thanks Thanks for your assistance.

TMC396
Apprentice

I have the same problem, only with a PIXMA MG7520 printer/scanner. I tried the recommended steps, but without success like warpdrve. So my questions are 1) is my unit too old to incorporate the workaround, and 2) should the ICA Driver Ver.5.0.0 appear in my Canon utility folder in Applications (which is does not, after multiple attempts)? 

Announcements