cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Win10 Install and ip8720

billrigsby
Apprentice

Had to do a new win 10 install, installing the printer all goes good, get the THE PRINTER IS DETECTED screen.

printer reacts like it is aligning, then after a few minutes get the THE PRINTER IS NOT DETECTED screen.

Tried different ports, downloaded the most curren from Canon, the same.

HELP, any ideas?

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Billrigsby,

That issue will usually mean that the computer added a generic connection for the printer and it is getting in the way of the install. You can leave the printer on and connected and remove any connections.

You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the device manager that comes up, you can scroll through the list and click on Universal Serial Bus controllers. You can right click on the option for USB printing support and select uninstall.

Once the connection has been uninstalled, you can disconnect the printer from the computer. You can start the install again and connect the cable once the USB cable connection window comes up in the install.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

billrigsby
Apprentice

UPDATE; all works fine on my old shop Win 7 machine,

not the cable or S/W, something with the new Win 10 install.

At least I can now print CDs again, that is it's main purpose,

that and 11 x 17 printing. Pain in the Arse!!

Still would like any help available to get her going on the Win 10 machine.

Thanks,  Bill

Hello Billrigsby,

That issue will usually mean that the computer added a generic connection for the printer and it is getting in the way of the install. You can leave the printer on and connected and remove any connections.

You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the device manager that comes up, you can scroll through the list and click on Universal Serial Bus controllers. You can right click on the option for USB printing support and select uninstall.

Once the connection has been uninstalled, you can disconnect the printer from the computer. You can start the install again and connect the cable once the USB cable connection window comes up in the install.

Thank you for the response, 

Will deleting this mess with other installed printers?

Bill

RES4466
Apprentice

I just had the same issue during the initial printer installation on my Win10 machine and a USB connection.  The printer was detected for 3 minutes or so, then reported as not detected.  When I disconnected the USB cable and then reconnected it the install screen would display the detected message for several minutes and then report it as not detected.  Hector's solution worked for me.  The existing USB connection to a Laser Jet was not affected.  Thank You, Hector !!

dscotthawkins
Apprentice

I have the same problem but the printer I am trying to reinstall can be used by other computers in my network. this is making me sick?

Announcements