cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neutral detergent for MG3620 printer?

ShadowNShine
Apprentice

I recently accidentally smudged the encoder film of my MG3620 printer while tending to a paper jam situation (which did get resolved). I was reading here on Canon's website how to clean the encoder film, which seems simple enough. The trouble is in the article Canon specifies to use "neutral detergent" only, to clean the encoder film. I have no idea what neutral detergent is. When I went to google it and search for it on Amazon all types of detergent comes up, both laundry and dish detergent. Canon doesn't specify what it is, what brand, if it's dish, laundry, or something else altogether. They don't seem to sell their own cleaning product for this issue either. I don't want to ruin the encoder film purchasing the wrong type of detergent. Does anyone know what this neutral detergent is?

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

https://solsie.com/best-ph-neutral-laundry-detergent/#our-top-picks

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Here is another link to "Neutral Detergents". I'm really not sure if this type of stuff is what Canon is referring to, but this is what I found when doing a search.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

normadel
Authority
Authority

A hand dishwashing liquid, like Dawn, would be a good one to try. If it is gentle enough to clean sea animals after oil spills (it is actually the preferred method), it ought to be safe for an encoder strip.

Bourn1950
Apprentice

If vertical lines always appear on printouts or print always shifts from the correct position, or if Error 5100 occurs during printer operation, the Encoder Film inside the printer may be smeared.

My BK Experience

Announcements