cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Canon Pixma MG6470 purges too much ink each time printer starts

nanhi
Contributor

Hi friends, need your help as my Canon Pixma MG6470 AIO WiFi Printer wastes too much Ink each time when it starts.

a) I had to shut and restart (3) times because of a WiFi connection problem. The new Ink Cartridges were depleted by 1/4th.

The Canon CLI-751 cartridges cost $ 11 each x 4 #s, and the CLI-750 costs $ 13 each here in Bangalore. Total $ 57 for the

full set. At this rate we will become bankrupt.

b) Will it stop purging ink if I shut it off and resart the Printer from the Button on the Printer?

c) Can we stop this wastage of Ink each time the printer has to be shut down and restarted from the Wall Switch or the Button

on the Printer - thru the Printer Software or through a hack?

Thanks & Regards.

nanhi

10 REPLIES 10

kahveen
Enthusiast

Hi nanhi,

As I understand that your printer MG6470 and each time turning on will cause the printer to purge ink on the printout. 

Kindly advise whether is it doing this when you turn on the printer power switch? If it doesn't, kindly try to perform a photocopy, this will help determine whether the printer is usable on its own.

Kindly also advise what is your computer operating system that you are utilzing with the printer.

Hope to hear from you,

Best Regards,

KahVeen

Thanks Kahveen Sir for the prompt help. Actually I did not put the problem clearly. By "purging" I mean the printer goes thru a cycle of cleaning the nozzle and throwing out ink on the soak pad. The ink head moves left and right a couple of times.

This happens each time the printer is switched OFF and ON. So in (3) such cycles it wasted 1/4th of the ink in the Cartridge.

I think this cleaning & purging action happens when the printer is switched OFF & ON from either the wall power plug or the switch on the Printer.

It is a WiFi Printer not connected directly to the Laptop through the USB cable. My Laptop runs Windows 8.1 64 Bit.

Kahveen Sir, can we prevent the wastage of ink into the Printers Soak Pad?

Note: It does not throw ink onto the paper in the actual printing cycle. Printing is simply great.

Regards.

Bipin.

Hi nanhi,

Thank you for your reply,

As I understand that your printer will perform a purge/cleaning when you switch OFF the printer. 

This purge function, also called "Deep Cleaning" can only be executed if you want it too. The printer by itself shouldn't perform any maintenance without your acknowledgement. 

You can refer to your warranty and see whether is there any on-site services that can be requested. 

In regards to your printer connectivity, do you mean that its currently connected via USB?

Would you like to connect via wireless?

If so, then below will be the guide to re-connect your printer to your network without using the USB Cable.

Here are the steps for your reference,

1) Connecting the printer to the network

2) Installing the printer driver

3) Perform a test print

1) Connecting the printer to the network

a) On the printer, press the "Menu" button

b) Select "Setup" and press "OK"

c) Select "Device Settings"

d) Select "Lan Setting"

e) Select "Wireless LAN Setup"

f) If you are prompt with the message to press the "WPS" instead press the "STOP" button

g) Select "Standard Setup"

h) Select your wifi network

i) Input your wireless password (if any)

2) Download and install the driver
a) Download the driver

(MG6400 series MP Drivers Ver. 1.02)

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0100609601.html 
b) Run the installation
c) Select "Wireless LAN Connection"
- If your printer is detected, you may proceed by selecting "Next"
- If your printer is not detected, select "Set up the printer network connection via USB Cable" then proceed by selecting "Next"
d) Complete the installation

3) Perform a test print

- Perform a test print to determine the results of your installation.

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,

KahVeen

Thanks Kahveen Sir once again.

I clearly mentioned that my printer is connected through WiFi and NOT through the USB cable.

Again, I do not know if it is deep clean or just simple cleaning of the Print Head Nozzle when ever the printer is SHUT DOWN and RESTARTED, either from the Power Wall Socket or the ON / OFF Switch on the Printer. I think it is just a simple cleaning cycle called technically "Print Head Purging".

This WASTES a lot of INK. The Ink Cartridges are very expensive here - more than twice the cost of Singapore.

So I am back to square one with no real help from this Forum. Alas!

Can some Senior Printer Expert please help??

Thanks once again.

nanhi

The answer to your question/problem is simple.

Canon has made theyr firmware in a way that also people that uses the printer very little should be forced to buy new ink.

I have the same problem with my MP980. Yesterday i had to change my ink after only maby 20 prints, with only text.

Every time i start it it eats ink for several minutes before it starts to print. You can see ink level decrease after each of this startups. 

I got fed up and bought me a Epson printer 2 days ago. Never more canon for me! Most of my friends have also left Canon, and start using other brands for the same reason. I like the Canon products in many ways but with the Ink use i cant have it no more. Talked to my father yesterday, he also have the same problem with his printer, wich is the same printer you have. So this is a problem for most printers made by Canon ( for people that uses the printer very little or turn it off/loose power)

Maby Epson is greedy as well and made the same mistake, but i will try to see if the Ink last longer on this one.

Thank you Visio Sir, of all the persons who tried to help, only you have understood the problem with my Canon Pixma MG6470 AIO WiFi Printer.

The saying goes in Japanese Kaizen that understanding the Problem clearly is half the Solution.

So here is the Problem Statement again, so that some of us can get a cllear understanding and clarification from the Canon Engineers:-

a) After a days print job, before shutting down the Printer, check the Ink Levels.

a) The Printer is shut down after the day's print job, that is from the button on the Printer then finally from the wall socket.

b) Next day there are some more print jobs. So the wall socket switch is pressed on. Then the button on the Printer is pressed to on it.

c) The printer starts up. The carriage moves from left to right and vice versa afew times. There is some strange noise from the printer. This takes some time

d) A few button presses are prompted by the Printer. It is now ready for a print or scan job.

e) On checking the Ink Level it is found the levels have depletrd quite a lot.

This simply means the printer has dumped out a lot of ink in a cleaing cycle or something.

SO WHY DOES CANON NOT SAY THIS IN THEIR MANUAL OR ADVERTISEMENT / SALES PROPAGANDA ???

In just 10 days of this routine and after printing some 20 to 30 pages the original Ink supplkied with the Printer is finished.

A full set of new Ink costs half the price of the Prinrter.

At this reate the owner will be bankrupt.

Now my daughter has a Canon printer too. She nevere shuts it down. So the ink lasts much longer.

SO WHY DOES CANON NOT TELL OWNERS NOT TO SHUT DOWN THE PRINTER AND TO LEAVE IT ON FOR THW WHOLE NIGHT OR DAY EVEN IF NOT PRINTING?????

One thing that helps, which I finally figured out, is to just leave your printer on.

Do not sut it off, ever!

The small amount of electricity that it is using will be more than compensated  for by the ink you will save by the printer not constantly going through those cleaning cycles!

Thanks Maryheff.  I too have a Cannon printer "ip7200" and when I set it to "auto turn off after 15 minutes"  I noticed each time it would start up to print a page, it would first go through a cleaning of the ink, and then proceed to print the page.  Providing there was any ink left after the cleaning.

I'm getting ticked off with all these printer manufacturers just about giving their printers away and then making them eat ink so they can overcharge us on the ink cartridges.  It's all one big scam.  It's so bad that you can just about buy a new printer with ink cartridges, cheaper then buying the cartridges alone.

Not to mention that the reason for the high cost of the cartridges is the electronic chip and design that prevents the cartridge from being reused thus forcing a user to buy the overpriced ink cartridge.

You hit the nail on the head perfectly Kenpreg Sir.

Here is the Youtube Video that reveals the dirty secret: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycD4XkUtbIw

I print just 6 or 7 A4 sheets on my new Canon AIO MG 6470 Printer and the supplied cartridges are empty.

A lot of ink is eaten away when the printer is turned On and it starts its "wasteful ink cycle".

Also note that this same model is labelled differently as sold in different countries and you cannot use ink cartridges from different regions of the world.

So I ordered empty refillable cartridges for USD 1.40 each from China with ARC chips. I also bought 100 ml ink bottles in different colors for USD 2.30 each fron eBay India as the Chinese ones were expensive.

Regards.

Announcements