cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MX922 Vertical line on copies

smiley47
Apprentice

My MX 922 leaves a thin vertical line on copies when the original is fed through the upper feed.  No line on documents sent from PC or documents copied from the scanner glass. I've performed all the listed cleaning steps. TIA

8 REPLIES 8

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi smiley47,

The lines on copies that you are experiencing is a result of the scan glass being dirty or scratched.  The scan glass that the printer uses when scanning from the ADF is located to the left of the larger glass area (platen) when you open the cover.  It is the smaller glass strip on the left hand side of the unit.  

Spray some glass cleaner on a paper towel and then clean the smaller glass area.  Once cleaned, try scanning from the ADF again.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

MX922 Document Guide.jpg

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This page had the right instructions for fixing my problem. So that's good.

At the bottom of the page, there is a suggestion to click the "Accept as Solution" button if the solution was good. But there is no such button. There is a "Kudos" button, though. You shoud change the text to match what is on the button.

kateuscher
Apprentice

This did not fix the problem with the vertical stripe on my 922. Cleaning everything and  replacing the ink cartridge did not help. I have a wide blue line when printing in color. I can hear the ink cartridge carrier printing, even when the scanned document is blank. This is the first day I've used the document feeder for my new computer, and I have not had this problem before using other computers. Please send a solution.

Hello, kateuscher,

We would be happy to assist you with your vertical lines in the copies. The issue that you are describing looks like it is a different problem with the scanner. The issue that this one addresses would cause thin black lines. To further assist with the issue, we would need some additional information.

1. Do you get the blue line when you use the glass as well?
  2. Is the line there when you try and use black and white? If so, does the line change color?
  3. Is the line always in the same place?

Once we have that additional information, we can assist further.

I fixed my problem by cleaning the scanner window in the area shown in the diagram at the top of this topic. Used "invisible Glass" cleaner.

Hopefully this will still find a recipient.  I've tried to clean my glass, but still have a blue line.

To answer the questions below: 

1. No line when i scan with the glass

2. Yes, the line is a light gray when on Grayscale

3. Yes, always in the same place. About an inch from the right edge of the paper.

Maybe it goes without saying, but the same line appears whether i am copying or scanning from the document feeder

Hi heffdad,

There is a mark on the scan glass that is transferring to your copy/scan.

Please view the image in this thread above for the location of the portion of the scan glass to be cleaned.

Even the smallest mark can cause this to occur.

If you have cleaned the glass and the line persists, there may be a scratch on the glass causing this.  In this case, your PIXMA MX922 would require service.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30 PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 weekdays and Saturdays after 11 AM ET (8 AM PT). Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

pattiewells
Apprentice

Yes, cleaning the glass surface worked perfectly to eliminate the vertical lines!

Announcements