Have an MX492 that has been connected USB to a Windows 7 desktop. The computer has been replaced with a new Windows 10 desktop. When installing, it gets to the Printer Connection window, which shows Printer Detected. After a while, that changes to Printer Not Detected. All connections are good. Same result multiple times.
Troubleshooting, connected it to a Windows 10 laptop, also via USB. Same thing. Any ideas?
Please disconnect the USB cable and then restart your computer.
When your computer restarts, press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.
In the Run window that appers, type CONTROL and click OK.
In Control Panel, click on View devices and printers. If there are any Canon MX490 series listed, please right click and then left click on Remove device.
Once all MX490 series are removed, click on the left arrow in the upper left corner.
Back in Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program.
In the list that appears, click on "Canon MX490 series MP Drivers" and then Uninstall at the top. Follow the on screen prompts to uninstall.
Once uninstalled, reboot your computer.
When your computer restarts, please visit the link below to download and install "MX490 series MP Drivers Ver 102", it is the last one in the list:
Found a fix to this. Run the installation once, this will install the software and drivers but will ultimately fail with the "Printer Not Detected" window. At this point the drivers are installed on the system but not linked with the device. Let's take care of that shall we.
In the Windows 10 Start Menu
1. Type in "Printers"
2. Select the "Printers & Scanners" application
3. You should see a malfunctioning "Inkjet Printer" in the list, click on that and click "Remove Device". Remove any other Canon MX490/2 devices listed.
4. Click "Add a printer or scanner" button (top of the Printers & Scanners window)
> Wait for the search options to appear
5. Click "The printer that I want isn't listed"
6. Click "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings"
7. Select "Use an existing port:" | If this is your only printer select "LPT1", if this is your second installed printer select "LPT2", if this is your third installed printer select "LPT3".
8. Under Manufacturer, Select "Canon" | On the right side under "Printers", Select Canon MX490 series Printer (Make sure you don't select FAX). | Click Next
9. Select "Use the driver that is currently installed (recommended)"
10. Click Next | Complete any additional steps in this wizard to finish.
11. Turn the Printer On if it wasn't already on
12. Run the Canon MX490 Series Driver & Software Installer again.
This time it should work without any issues. Hope this helps!