cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG5620 PGBK print only distorted

Geekster
Contributor

Hi!  I have a Canon MG5620 printer that started printing distorted in PGBK only.  The vertical lines print as vertical elipses between the second horizontal line at the bottom and the top of the graph display on the "nozzle test" page.  My problem is, can this be fixed or is it time to shop for a new printer.  I can post the print if required.  Thanks for the guidance!

Geekster

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Geekster,

The nozzle check pattern is a maintenance function which is stored in the printer's memory.  Since cleaning the encoder an additional time did not improve the print quality the printer will need to be replaced.

Please click HERE to contact chat or telephone support for the available warranty options.

View solution in original post

This happened more than a year ago.  Solution likely involved print head replacement.  Canon makes HP too.  Go with printer with head in replacement cartridge or just go to a Brother laser printer.  I did, didn't look back at wasting ink to clean nozzles, fantastic printers!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

All of the pigment ink based printers can suffer from a clogged print head due to dry ink and clogged nozzles.  Cant say  this is your issue 100%, but its a good place to start when print quality starts to diminish.

You can use instructions for 5460 on the 5620...  see these posts:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/MG5460-blurry-vertical-printing-wit...

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick, thanks but I don't believe it is cleaning.  This is not a random thing, the vertical lines are almost perfect ellipses with some distortion in the horizontal ones.  Several prints show the exact same pattern, even when laying one over the other.  I have used the clean, deep clean, even took out the printhead and washed it all out.  I believe the printhead is OK and that the flaw is either in the hardware or the software.  Nothing random here, looks like intelligence involved.  Might be time to shop for a new printer but I really liked this one!  Have lots of extra ink too.

Geekster

Hi Geekster,

Could you please take a picture of your nozzle check and attach it as your next reply.

We look forward to your reply.

George_-
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Geekster,

Based on the nozzle check pattern you provided, it seems that the encoder strip inside the printer needs to be cleaned.  Please click HERE and follow the steps to clean the encoder strip.

Does this help resolve the issue described?  If so, please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

George, thanks for your help!  Well, I cleaned the encoder strip again, first thing I tried, only this time I made swabs from pencils and soft cloth, one with alcohol and one dry.  I thoroughly cleaned both sides of the strip and examined it carefully for flaws, and as far as I can see it is clean with no damage.  So, I printed a nozzle check page and laid it over the old one on a light table and it is exactly the same.  Surely if it was the strip I would have changed the pattern somewhat.  I don't understand the printer's use of the strip, is it only for the PGBK ink and all others are random?  Sounds to me like there is either a software fault or a hardware fault, but definitely not an intermittent since it is so consistant.  Any other suggestions?  Again, I love this printer and hate to see it go but maybe I'll shop around? 

Geekster, (George as well).

No comments?  Is the printer pretty much toast?

Thanks!

Hi Geekster,

The nozzle check pattern is a maintenance function which is stored in the printer's memory.  Since cleaning the encoder an additional time did not improve the print quality the printer will need to be replaced.

Please click HERE to contact chat or telephone support for the available warranty options.

But why does it happen only to the PGBK cartridge?  I am experiencing the very same problem that Geekster is reporting, and it's not the timing strip.  Like Geekster's Nozzle pattern, the lines diverge by a millimeter in the middle but converge consistently at the top and bottom of the pattern.  This is not a mechanical issue.  I belive it is a software issue.  The algorithm is consistently overcompensating for non-existent misalignment. It is mathematically perfect. The distinct symptom here is that text printed using the PGBK cartridge has suddenly started printing half a millimeter to the left and half a millimeter to the right of where the pixels should be appearing.  This is particularly pronounced when attempting to print barcodes, as individual stripes appear curved in the middle, as though some smoothing function were being applied.  Workarounds include printing barcodes sideways and using the ink conservation mode in Adobe Acrobat (to avoid PGBK use).  I will see if resetting the printer to factory defaults and reprogramming it helps.

Announcements