cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't scan says in use with application or user and its not in use

PH
Apprentice

Yes, I was able to use my scanner couple times then went to use it again and get this error message that says the scanner is not available while in use by another application or user. This is weird as no one else has used my scanner but myself and I have shut the printer off many times even unpluged it and still won't scan to my computer. I hope someone can give me some advice so I can get it up and running again.

Thank you

PH

6 REPLIES 6

Naomi
Enthusiast

Hi PH!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know which model Canon Scanner you own. That way, our Canon Forum members and our Subject Matter Experts will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your  model.  Please also let us know what operating system you have installed on your computer.

Thanks!

Hi Naomi

Thank you for the quick reply. I have  a 3 in 1 Cannon MX 310. I am using Windows XP operating system. If there is any more info you need please email me and thank you again for your help. Woman Happy

PH

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello PH.

This error should be resolved by restarting your computer.  Please restart the computer and then try using our MP Navigator program to scan again. 

Let us know if the issue persists.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I am having the same problem but I do not have time to turn off and on my computer ever single time I need to scan something, which would have to happen as I have already turned off and on my computer once. I was then able to scan one thing and then I got the error message... again. I have had this scanner for years and it has never done this. I am using the CanoScan 8800F.

Hi carenson,

To isolate the issue you describe, please follow these instructions to put your computer in a Selective Startup:

1.  Press the Windows key on the keyboard and then press R.

2.  In the Open box of the Run window, type msconfig and and then click OK.

3.  In the General tab of the System Configuration Utility window, click on the Selective Startup radio button.

4.  Remove the check in the Load Startup Items box.

5.  Click the Services tab.

6.  At the bottom of the Services tab, click Hide all Microsoft Services box.  The window will refresh.

7.  Under Service column, uncheck each box that is left in this tab.

8.  Click Apply and then Close.

9.  Click Restart.

10.  Proceed to use your scanner to see if the issue you described has been corrected.

11.  After using your scanner, repeat steps 1 and 2, click Normal Startup and then restart your computer.

Are you able to use the scanner while in selective startup?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Perfect. Worked for me. Very good instructions. I'm far from an advanced user and you saved my from taking my computer to a shop. Very nice job... Thank you!
Announcements