cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G7020 Printer issues: setting static IP and banding

digging4roots
Apprentice

I have 2 issues and 1 concern:

The first (and probably the simplest) is that the printer keeps going off line/going to sleep. I did figure out I need to set the printer to a static IP but have not been able to figure out how to do that.

• there is no option (near as I could determine) within the printer panel settings
  • going to the web interface offers a log in (with no "submit" button) and the default password (the printer's s/n) doesn't work when I press "enter."
  • using Windows 10 "Devices and Printers" -> Properties shows the IP address but no means to alter it to static IP

The 2nd is more problematic. I received this printer yesterday as a replacement to a relatively new printer (different manufacturer) that was causing banding within my images.

This printer, immediately out of the box, has the exact same problems. I understand this is due to head alignment. I have run it twice with no improvement and it ONLY shows up in images -- never in just plain text. Particularly noticeable where the colors are quite dark or black. I tested using:

• 2 photos taken with different cameras
  • 1 photo created using Corel Paint Shop Pro 2023
  • 1 image created using Night Cafe (text prompt to image) both low resolution and upscaled to maximum resolution
  • 1 image created from a TV tuner screen shot
  • Corel Paint Shop Pro 2023 and MS Paint

My Canon G7020 environment is/has:

• Windows 10 (22H2, OS build 19045.3570)
  • Browsers (Opera, Chrome, Firefox, Edge) all current versions
  • Corel Paint Shop Pro 2019 and 2023 (64 bit)
  • Windows 10 MS Paint

The following link contains samples of the original files and pictures taken of the print results. Select the "Banding" sub-directory.

Note: printed "normal" on standard bright white 20# copy paper.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=kZvMkoVZcJoErBvylFFGMlwpCGxcdXGnQGGy

My concern is that it appears this printer is using a lot of ink. I noticed that the ink level had dropped considerably after having printed only 7 pages. Is this consumption level normal? I expected it to last considerably longer based on the Canon's estimated page count: "Up to 18,000 pages worth of black ink in the box" (3 black ink bottles) and from the spec sheet, "Default mode: up to 6,000 (Black & White) / 7,700 (Color) Page (per full ink bottle set)"

Same link as above, but select the "Ink consumption" sub-directory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Which orbi model do you own?  RBR 750 or 850 maybe?

Address reservation is the same for both.  I've provided a reference below - common to 90% of Netgears Orbi routers.

Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System User Manual, Orbi Router Model RBR750, Orbi Satellite Mo...         - See page 63

Its page 80 in the RBR850's manual, but is identical to the one I referenced above.  I'm a member on Netgear's Community as well, since 2004.  

shadowsports_0-1699764139271.png

So you re having banding issues (which I am familiar with) with 2 printers from different manufacturers.  Whats the common denominator?  Software?  Maybe the plain paper you are using? 

What is the resolution and DPI of the images you are printing?

If your Nozzle Check Pattern looks good, and your printheads have been aligned, I would try printing on different paper, and ensure the images you are printing are of adequate resolution and DPI for the size output you are printing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Here is a link for the manual for your device:

G7000 series Online Manual (c-wss.com)

As far a page yield goes, you'll need to look at 2 things.  One is the number of pages, and second the percentage of ink coverage.  If a black cartridge is rated at 1,000 pages at 15% coverage, you can get approx 1,000 pages.  If however, the percentage of ink coverage is greater, your total page yield will be less.  Example, pages of printed text vs. pages with a 1 in framed page border in black.

The first time you access the printer's webserver (remote UI) you are required to set up a PIN.  On subsequent visits, you will be required to enter this PIN to access the printer's Remote UI portal.

If you have forgotten the PIN or password, you will need to contact Canon Support for assistance to unlock.  If you are having issue with what is displaying, I'd try a different browser.  Chrome, Edge, etc. 

To find the IP address your printer is using, you can log into router, review attached devices and see what IP address it has assigned to the printer.  The information can also be viewed on the printer's operation panel under the Wi-Fi menu off of the Setup menu. You can set a static or reserved IP address on your router or the printer.  I suggest doing it on your router for consistency.  Look for Address Reservation, Static or Reserved IP.

See this for print quality issues, starting on page 510.

G7000 series Online Manual (c-wss.com) 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"The first time you access the printer's webserver (remote UI) you are required to set up a PIN"

Not in the case of my printer. It asks for a password. According to my documentation (I already have the manual), the out-of-the-box password is the Serial Number. It does NOT accept it. It doesn't matter which browser I use (I tried 4).

2.1 printer web services.jpg2.2 printer web interface.jpg2.3 printer password.jpg

"To find the IP address your printer is using, ..."

I don't need to know how to find the IP. I already know it. What I need to know is how to set the IP to static. There is NO option to do so in my router. It shows connected devices and the only option is to allow/block access. There is NO option to do so from the printer panel. I'm fairly confident I pulled up every single option and found none. If you know a specific set of options (in order) to select, do let me know and I'll happily give it a try.

FYI: My router is a NetGear Router Orbi, firmware v 4.6.14.3_2.3.12

1.1 Router.jpg1.2 Router access control.jpg

"See this for print quality issues, starting on page 510."

Check 1: yes

Check 2: yes

Check 3: none of the issues are relevant. The problem I'm experiencing is called "Banding." It typically occurs when print heads are misaligned (and I've run the test twice but it does not show up in text printouts and the tests are just text, not images) or the nozzles are clogged -- which is unlikely since this is a brand new printer and the problem happened with the very first print of an image right out of the box. In other words, I had received the printer, immediately printed an image, and immediately experienced banding.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Which orbi model do you own?  RBR 750 or 850 maybe?

Address reservation is the same for both.  I've provided a reference below - common to 90% of Netgears Orbi routers.

Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System User Manual, Orbi Router Model RBR750, Orbi Satellite Mo...         - See page 63

Its page 80 in the RBR850's manual, but is identical to the one I referenced above.  I'm a member on Netgear's Community as well, since 2004.  

shadowsports_0-1699764139271.png

So you re having banding issues (which I am familiar with) with 2 printers from different manufacturers.  Whats the common denominator?  Software?  Maybe the plain paper you are using? 

What is the resolution and DPI of the images you are printing?

If your Nozzle Check Pattern looks good, and your printheads have been aligned, I would try printing on different paper, and ensure the images you are printing are of adequate resolution and DPI for the size output you are printing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Address reservation is the same for both"
Husband says we only use the IP address for access to the router and there's no username/password from a website. I think, however, I found something similar in the web interface.

"So you re having banding issues (which I am familiar with) with 2 printers from different manufacturers. Whats the common denominator? Software? Maybe the plain paper you are using?"

See my original post. All the original images are on the link I provided. They have the word "ORIGINAL" in the file name.

• paper: mostly just 20# bright white from Hammerhill, Staples and unknown brand; 2 tests on heavyweight and 1 test on photo (Kodak)
  • software: have tried multiple applications, but mostly PSP and MS Paint
    a few were printed to PDFs; I tested with all 4 PDF printer drivers I have (Corel PDF Fusion, Windows built-in driver, Adobe Acrobat, Foxit) and then printed to the printer using FoxIt and Adobe Acrobat.
  • resolution and dpi: from very low to very high

The first 2 pics are from a regular (old) Canon camera. The image specs are:

• 4000x3000 pixels
    180 dpi
    bit depth 24
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS
    f/5.6
    1/8 sec
    ISO-1600
    17mm
  • The screen capture specs are original and an upscaled version  (using AI built-in into PSP)
    1920x810
    bit depth 24
    UPSCALED:
    2400x1010
    bit depth 24
  • the last sample I provided was taken on an Apple iPhone
    3024x4032
    72 dpi
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    f/1.5
    1/225sec
    ISO-50
    6mm

But I have also tested with images I created using Night Cafe (text prompt to image), both standard resolution (768x1344, 96dpi, 24 bit depth) and upscaled to the max (4571x8000, 96dpi, 24 bit depth). I also increased resolution to 300dpi.

Announcements