cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA G7020 alternately not printing Cyan and Yellow

TenMan
Apprentice

Bought this printer in March of 2021 and have printed less than 500 pages so far according to the nozzle check function in the menue.

Worked fine yesterday, today I noticed when I printed an invoice it came out pink looking on the color fields. Should have been Blue and light Gray. All ink tanks are still 80%+ so it's not out of ink.

Found the nozzle check in the menue and ran it and no Cyan printed at all. That was 432nd printed page.

Glanced thru the forums and saw a recommendation of running a clean and 2 deep clean cycles as well as trying a printhead alignment.

I did the cleaning and deep cleaning proceedures and ran the nozzle check again. Some Cyan printed but it was streaky and not printing solid(id say maybe 60% to 70% coverage) but absolutely no yellow printed at all when it worked fine before the cleaning. That was the 433rd printed page.

I reworked my invoices to all black writting and no back ground colors and gave a couple test prints to verify the results would be acceptable.

Performed another clean and deep clean cycle followed by a nozzle check (435th printed page) only to see the yellow was back to working properly and absolutely no Cyan printed. Tried printing a couple of other things but colors were off so I ran the clean and deep clean cycle again  followed by the printhead alignment proceedure.  It printed a couple of pages during the aligniment with some patterns on front and back of each page. I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like but I don't think it was right there was only some Black and Blue patterns, a few of which appear to overlap just a touch as I can see a hint of purple in a few patterns.

Tried one more nozzle check and this time the first line of Cyan looks good and the second has about 98% coverage with just a 2 small streaks in it where it did not print just above the middle of the test pattern. Unfortunately zero Yellow printed. That was the 442 printed page.

I am starting to think this is not just a clogging issue but an actual hardware or software issue although there are no error codes or messages.

Any other suggestions on what I should try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TenMan
Apprentice

New printhead arrived. Surprised how quickly it got here.

Removed old one & installed replacement in a matter of minutes.

Ran one cleaning cycle then did a nozzle check.

Everything printed just like it is supposed to! Problem is resolved, thankfully.

SmartSelect_20210922-082635_Gallery.jpgStill a bit dissapointed to have had a problem so quickly but at least it was fixed quickly and under warranty. Hopefully there will be no more problems and it will give me years of service like all of my other Canon products have in the past.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TenMan
Apprentice

This is what the nozzle checks look like.20210916_104925.jpg

TenMan
Apprentice

Spoke with customer support this morning and went thru removing and re-installing the print heads and performing another deep clean cycle followed by a nozzle check that resulted in no Yellow with a blank streak in the Magenta 

After visual inspection to verify the ink tubes feeding the print head carrier were full of ink and had no air bubbles in them it was determined that the color print head must be faulty and Canon will be sending me another one under warranty.

I will post an update when parts arrive and are installed as to if it fixed the issue or not.

TenMan
Apprentice

New printhead arrived. Surprised how quickly it got here.

Removed old one & installed replacement in a matter of minutes.

Ran one cleaning cycle then did a nozzle check.

Everything printed just like it is supposed to! Problem is resolved, thankfully.

SmartSelect_20210922-082635_Gallery.jpgStill a bit dissapointed to have had a problem so quickly but at least it was fixed quickly and under warranty. Hopefully there will be no more problems and it will give me years of service like all of my other Canon products have in the past.

jimonqa
Contributor

My G7020 prints only pink after only 4 prints.  LED is unreadable in low light.  Paper handling is poorly designed.  The MX870 was a much better printer.  I want to throw the G7020 out the window!

Announcements