cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Pixma TR4720 printer to work with my MacBook Air

Twinkler73
Contributor

Just bought a new Pixma TR4720 printer from Staples.  Also purchased a NXT Technologies USB 2.0 printer cable.    ( suggested by staff at Staples ) to go along with. I downloaded the software recommended from the Canon site. The printer itself works fine when I print something out from the scanner bed, but it  won't print out anything from the laptop.  The MacBook is connected via ethernet to an Arris Surfboard modem. I then connected the printer cable from the Pixma to the Mac and tried to print something out, but nada.  I even took the printer cable and Macbook to our local Mac store, and they said that the USB printer cable SHOULD work in the Mac.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

17 REPLIES 17

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you want to print directly via USB WiFi shouldn’t be required. Doesn’t matter what modem you have. But, have you connected the printer to WiFi? Is it possible that it’s either/or? Check what the manual says. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

acctcoord
Contributor

I am also having trouble getting the TR4720 software downloaded to a MAC desktop. I needed to remove the printer and then reinstall.  I downloaded the Canon TR4720 for Mac.  I have MoJave on the Mac and the downloaded  from Canon asks to choose the software however in the entire listings of software in the download, TR4720 is not listed anywhere.  Have they discontinued the TR4720 software download?  HELP WIFI and Direct Print do not work.  the Scanner alone works.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-tr4720

Mojave is listed here. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

acctcoord
Contributor

Yes, this is where I went and downloaded the "software" but TR4720 is not listed in it as an option.

Does it perhaps say 4700 series? The last two digits refer to products for specific markets. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

acctcoord
Contributor

No - it doesn't even list 4700 series.

acctcoord
Contributor

Technically I shouldn't even need "software" on a Mac - air print should work but that also is not an option.

Give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-Canon. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Twinkler73
Contributor

Hi John, thanks for all your attempts to help with this ~ I called Canon first, before posting in this Forum.  They clearly don't want to talk to people, I couldn't get anybody on the phone to help with this.  The idiot AI couldn't make heads or tails of what I was asking....and they kept saying my phone is not registered !   I am about ready to give up on this ~ my tech adept son is working on fixing me up with a used PC desktop for his Mother's Day present to me,  and I know the Pixma printer which I had before the fire worked just fine with my old Dell desktop.  I am very disappointed in Canon for the lack of customer support!

Announcements