cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Count me in, too. I have a practically new MX882 that I have the same problem with. I'm trying to scan some pictures for my Nana's funeral video, but I can't do it thanks to this dang U052 error! This is beyond ridiculous! 

PS - I have tried multiple print heads, too.

Super upset by this, Canon.

-ZE

You can sign up for the lawsuit online. Google it

Did they just delete the case and attornies info?

Can anyone explain how this info breaks the forums' guidelines:

Participation
Forums are a great way to communicate, facilitate help, and in general, interact with others who share similar interests.  With that in mind,

• Posts must be in the English language.
  • Search before posting a new question as your question may have already been discussed.
  • Post on the appropriate board
  • Be respectful of one another
  • Stay on topic
  • Debate intelligently
  • Do not post personal or private information of any sort

We may remove posts that could be considered:

• Abusive, hateful, discriminatory, dangerous, defamatory, harassing, threatening, or attacking others.
  • Vulgar, obscene, sexually suggestive, or otherwise offensive.
  • Fraudulent, deceptive, misleading, unlawful, spam or solicitations of any kind.
  • Violations of any laws or regulations.
  • Deliberate disruption of discussions.
  • Promotion of third party products, promotions, websites, organizations, goods or services.
  • Do not post comments in ALL-CAPS. Canon reserves the right to remove or request changes to these comments.

BernardinOhio
Apprentice

MG6320 here.  "Support Code 1403 The type of print head is incorrect.  Install the correct print head."  So it's not U052, but the effect is exactly the same.  I was printing perfectly and now I'm dead in the water.  Didn't change print head or cartridges Your suggestions to turn off, unplug, reseat, and turn it all on again are a big waste of time.  I've had maybe 4,5 Canon printers over the last 15 years.  Never had any other brand of printer.  Please don't make a mockery of product loyalty.

CANON:  ARE YOU LISTENING ???  Are you familiar with YouTube?  You have all our email addresses.  Fix it.

They have had plenty of opportunity to fix it, and they haven't.

Let's face it, they won't.

All we can do is publicise this as widely as possible via Facebook etc so that people know not to buy Canon products.

Last night I spoke for almost an hour with “Greg,” a supervisor in tech support. My MG6320 and its Support Code 1403, “Incorrect print head,” is not covered by any lawsuit. I really can't expect it to be because, almost certainly, the code was the result of damage resulting from my use of nonOEM ink.

Greg explained that a specific viscosity is critical to smooth operation of the printer over the long term. If the ink is too thin, it streaks. If it's too thick, the heat generated when it's forced through the nozzles will eventually fry the print head. So in my case, Code 1403 is most likely not part of a scheme by Canon to make the printer fail shortly after the warranty period is over. My MG6320 has churned out about 250 8 ½ x 11 (gorgeous) color photos, plus a lot of documents, since I bought it a little over two years ago. It's disappointing but not shocking that the ink I used doesn't match Canon's viscosity perfectly. Canon cannot fairly be blamed for that, or for the failure of the print head, especially in view of the fact that we're reminded at every turn that using nonOEM ink is risky.

Looking back, it's the text of the code that threw me off. “Wrong print head”? Ridiculous. It was the same print head that came with the printer. But I could hardly expect the message to say, “Your use of nonOEM ink has finally caught up with you. The ink is too thick. It caused friction that heated the print head to the point of frying.”

That whole explanation came out of my talk with Greg – which did not include any veiled scolding or bad attitude for having used nonOEM ink. He really restored my faith in Canon. Now my job is to find a better grade of cheap ink.

Thanks for your extensive research. you are the first person that makes sense from explaining on a technical level. As an engineer myself , I am still puzzled why canon did not say this themselves. nor they could have updated the program to change the print error code. Can you investigate futher on why this was not done by canon

While this sounds plausible, it does not explain why my Canon printer failed due to this "wrong printhead" error. I used only Canon ink -- and still had the problem last year. By now my Canon printer is in an electonics graveyard somewhere, and I'm using an HP instead. Alas! I really loved my Canon printer but gave up on Canon after that failure.

Hello, janet1

You used only Canon inks and got the “wrong printhead” error ??? I am really sorry about that. The only Canon inks I used with my printer were in the box the printer came in. After they were empty, I used strictly nonOEM inks. Been doing that for years with various printers, usually with no problem. . I've never come up against this particular problem until now. Please forgive me if you already know, but Canon has been sued in a class action over this and elected to settle by giving customers refunds of $50 to $75. My MG6320 is not among the many printers covered by this lawsuit, but yours might be. Even though you no longer have the printer, it might not be too late to get a a few dollars, provided you can come up with proof of purchase. A credit card statement, accessible at your credit card company's web site, perhaps? Here's a link.  Best of luck to you.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/170371-canon-inkjet-printer-class...

Hello, drebs:

Thanks for your kind comments, but I really don't deserve them. I just made the call. Greg did the work. I, too, wondered why “the type of print head is incorrect” error message hasn't been replaced by something that more closely describes what's happening. I didn't ask Greg that specific question because I felt  the answer was implicit in his explanation.

The implicit answer is that the codes arre written from the perspective of addressing a user who is using the printer as advised by Canon: Use Canon inks. Other inks may, eventually, get you into trouble.

The effect of the overheating from ink that's too thick is not necessarily uniform across all the nozzles. Some will work, some won't. Canon doesn't want to wrongly accuse the user of using nonOEM ink, so they just say that it looks like there's some kind of print head in there, but we don't know which one for sure, or even whether it's the correct head but incapacitated.  All we know is for sure is that it's wrong for this printer.

Of course, that's just my personal interpretation of what Greg said. It floats my boat, so I'm setting sail with it.  Anyway, I feel a lot better now about the whole situation. .

Announcements