cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Don_S
Apprentice

Me too. My MP800 just died with the dreaded U052 print head message when I turned it on to print this time. Cartridges were half used. I tried the company reset procedure a couple of times with no luck. Very disappointing to read all the complaints on this issue here and like others I will be looking at another brand when I go to Frys this evening to get a new printer.I'm a typical light home user and while I've had the printer for a while the complaints on this forum have me scared to replace my printer with another Canon.

JohnWPB
Contributor

I have received this error, and have found no solution.  I have an MG5520 that I purchased a few years back.  I purchased this particular model, as you can print directly to CD's, DVD's ect with the purchase of a disk caddy/tray.

I am a MS certified technician, and know my way around hardware. Yet,I have not been able to resolve this problem.  I have tried all of the suggestions in this thread, as well as many other suggestions on Youtube and many, many other forums that mention this problem.

I have been using Canon for many years now.  It was in fact a Canon Rep that I had met that "sold me" on Canon printers. He used to be at my local Best Buy on weekends to demo and answer any and all questions about the printers regarding features, ink, paper types ect.  Even before this, I started with one of their first "Bubble Jet" printers, the Canon BJ-200 many years ago.  It was hooked to my back then, Comodore Amiga computer. (Heck it had a paralell port, and a max black & white resolution of 360 x 360 dpi!)  I have since then, upgraded to a new Canon printer every few years as technology progresses.

I am sad to say that after reading so many, many, many reports of this problems, from countless others, I am done with Canon.  All I have seen in response from them is to send the printer in for service, or to buy a new printer.  Unaceptable when this is such a WIDE known problem.

I just purchased a new Epson printer, and will never look back.

[Mod note: Removed per FORUM GUIDELINES], and [Mod note: Removed per FORUM GUIDELINES]  to save $10 🙂

Sorry Canon, but I will no longer be one of your customers.

Edit to add:

Here is one [Mod note: Removed per FORUM GUIDELINES] I will probably be putting the same type video up here real soon!

EDIT: Interesting, a MOD removed a link in this post to a YouTube video of a guy smashing a printer.  How does that violate any of the forum guidlines or rules?  I read them carefully, and see nothing that pertains to this.

Interestingly enough, the same rules linked to by the Moderator state:  "We value our customers and want to make sure we address your questions or issues in the best way possible"

whsii2
Apprentice

NOTE: Since my original message below, I took a survey from Canon customer support - I critizing the reliablity of the Canon Printer Head and gave the printer a very low rating. My review was rejected since it "did not discuss the features of the product". My response was there were no features to comment on since the printer did not work and that my survey comments should be shown in their product review. They arranged for technical support to contact me, and I was surprised when they readily agreed to replace the print head at no charge! Thought that I would pass this along...this is a printer that I really liked (when it worked) and I had a large supply of new unreturnable ink. You might want to try this route... 

Original message 

Another 2 year old Canon printer MX892 bites the dust with the U052 error. Tried  (3 times) removing and cleaning the printer head with no success. Called Canon support - no help or actual support for their product / design failure. The part costs as much as a printer, so it does not seem worth fixing - it would seem good customer relations for Canon to replace the defective printer head with a new/rebuild one for free. A shame, since I really did like the printer. I thought that the scheme of printer manufacturers was to build a relieable printer, sell it cheap and hook the consumer on expensive ink refills. Guess not with Canon...

JohnWPB
Contributor

Very Interesting, a few posts back, a MOD removed a link in my post to a YouTube video of a guy smashing a printer, and linked me to the forum rules.  How does that violate any of the forum guidlines or rules?  I followed his link, and I read them carefully, and see nothing that warrants removing the link to the video.

Interestingly enough, the same rules linked to by the Moderator clearly state, and I QUOTE:

"We value our customers and want to make sure we address your questions or issues in the best way possible"

canonisafraud
Apprentice

I have the MP 610

It has served me for some time

Today the equivalent of the blue screen of death, the U052 appeared.

I removed all ink cartriges, error still there.

All I wanted was to scan a document. I am BLOCKED by this error and now the scanner cannot work.  The machine is now useless

I litterally cannot use a scanner from a printer problem. Coïncidence? I think not.

That's it canon

You wanted it? You earned it

You think I am stupid? You think we are all idiots? You want more benefit by programming a machine death?

Good luck because you ain't gonna get anything from me anymore

Sure, delete my post, do it for free

You earned the jackpot

On the top of that I will be SURE to always tell anybody to stay away from your products

Oh, you thought that this would make you earn more benefits to force us buying machines again. Too bad. Like I said, I will make sure to make anybody I know to stay away from any of your products

Jackpot, canon, that's all you earned.

Feel free to meta marketing and use your tools to delete bad comments.

You earned the jackpot today with me.

itzke2
Apprentice

Eventhough this topic is 117 pages long, I'm adding my name to the list of people suffering the U052 problem. Mine is a Pixma MX882.

My printer has worked fine for 2 years with only Canon ink. Came back the other day to find the error. Tried all the fixes listed here but no luck. 

Spoke with Canon tech support who said basically- can't help you, buy another printer. I mentioned the Class Action lawsuit but he didn't change his tune. He sent me to the "loyalty" dept who said they'd sell me a MX992 for $161.99 with free shipping. When i said Amazon sells it for $89.99 she said- "of course, we'll match the price." 

I said- I'll be buying any printer that's NOT CANON. 

txdiablo79
Apprentice

I just registered so I can be informed when this class action happens.  I'm not a heavy printer, yet my MG5320 gave me that same wrong printer head error. 117 pages of people reporting the same thing and no help from Canon?  Yah...Last time I purchase canon anything.

tibbsms
Apprentice

My error code is 1403 on Pixma MX922, stopped in middle of printing - removed printer head, cleaned it and replaced still same code, this is riduciuous that so many have this mappening and they are doing nothing about it, this is 4th Canon printer we have owned, and will not purchase another!

petethepen
Contributor

YOU CAN ADD THE PIXMA MG8150 TO THIS LONG LIST OF PRINTERS WHICH HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM.

crispy_p
Apprentice

Hello from the UK to everyone in this thread and thanks to those of you who have taken a stand on this.

We have an MP610 and it's been a great machine over the years. This issue started about a month ago and it seemed to be resolved (just once) by unplugging, taking out the cartridges, starting up and then reseating the cartridges - then it came back the next day and wouldn't go.

It frustrates me so much as the kit is all there and is working beautifully, it's clearly something under the bonnet in the software that is causing the issue. It seems to me that there is so much needless waste in the world and I am generally much happier to spend a little more and get something that will last the distance and can be repaired/kept going.

Anyhow, I've now had to buy a replacement machine because my daughter has got worried about printing out schoolwork etc, but I am very interested to see how Canon respond to being held to account like this.

Thanks again to those who have had the gumption to get some answers - I salute you.

CP

Announcements