cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

what about canadian canon printers,i have the same problem,u052 error,does the law suit cover canon canada as well

GuyNamedJoe
Enthusiast

The Court has AGAIN postponed the "fairness hearing" to April 25, 2016! No reason was given in the Court document for the postponement. Meanwhile, Canon has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING on behalf of its affected customers! I suspect, but can't prove, that Canon is taking the tactic of continuous delay in paying out agreed upon settlements. Perhaps a Canon employee will read this and provide that reason!

Just want to add another MX892 to the trash heap from the U052 error. I purchased the printer in April of 13 as a backup for the day when my current printer would stop working. It finally died last year in August at which time I replaced it with the unopened MX892. Now, less than 8 months later and I'm guessing around 200 pages tops, I'm stuck purchasing a new printer. I tried calling Canon to see if they would do anything about it, and they just referred me to their loyalty department where they could give me a 10% discount from their website price. It looks like I'm too late to join the class action suit and I'm stuck with a bunch of printer cartridges now, thanks Canon.

Dear "GuyNamedJoe" Could you give us some hints as to the source of the fairness hearing that you referred to? Is it too late to get on their bandwagon????

shaval123
Enthusiast
Even if you did change the print head that would not fix the issue. It is not really a print head problem but a design flaw.

It's not even a design flaw.

On my dead and gone Canon printer, there was a firmware update, distributed from Canon. Four days after applying the update, U052 appeared.

My opinion: The software change was distributed precisely to kill older Canon printers. Very likely there is -0- wrong with any of these printers: The firmware on currently shipping printers is killing off Canon's printers for the likely express reason of scaring up more business.

Now, with sane people, a printer malfunctioning like this would mean going to another vendor. But enough Joe and Jane Six-Packs simply shrug, run down to their nearest computer store, and buy another printer. Ta-da! Instant cash flow.

There was this guy in Brooklyn, NY, who used to run around with a metal rod and bash peoples' car windhields in during the dead of the night. He owned an auto glass repair store. Not all of the people with busted glass (fully covered by insurance, by the by) would come to him - but enough did to make it a worthwhile endeavor. This was a few years back when security cameras weren't as common as they are now. But, eventually, he did it where there was such a cam and got caught.

My opinion: What's going on with Canon is just like this guy, shrouded in the mystery of DRM'd, closed-source firmware pushed by a company looking for a profit. Fairness, my butt. Canon probably planned for the class action lawsuit; discovery probably hasn't happened yet, and Canon probably plans that it never will. And Canon's based in Japan: The Japanese don't let discovery from U.S. Courts cross the Pacific.

Canon=crooks and theives.

KBeck

This is an interesting suggestion. I keep thinking that Canon could fix the problem by changing something in the code to remove the message. If they were serious about correcting this issue,they would have done that. With all the bad publicity you would think they would decide to fix it. I keep reading these letters hoping for a fix. I've bought an Epson but still have my Canon in case a fix becomes available.

petethepen
Contributor

Guys.  I think there is an actionable case in small claims, if you want to go that route.  Canon markets their machines as "Multi-function" Printers.  The U052 error renders not only the printing but also the scanning functions inoperable.  This is a design flaw which could reasonably be considered a manufacturing defect.  The printhead has no function in the scanning process, and it therefore should not interfere with scanning, but Canon's manufacture has unnnecessarily shut down this function.  This means that the multi-function  part of the printer is not of merchantable quality.  Small claims court is reasonably inexpensive and Claimants and defendants cannot normally claim their costs.  Do you think Canon is going to send a lawyer to your local small claims court if you threaten to bring them there, or do you think they will re-imburse you for a new printhead?

Guys.  I think there is an actionable case in small claims, if you want to go that route.  Canon markets their machines as "Multi-function" Printers.  The U052 error renders not only the printing but also the scanning functions inoperable.  This is a design flaw which could reasonably be considered a manufacturing defect.  The printhead has no function in the scanning process, and it therefore should not interfere with scanning, but Canon's manufacture has unnnecessarily shut down this function.  This means that the multi-function  part of the printer is not of merchantable quality.  Small claims court is reasonably inexpensive and Claimants and defendants cannot normally claim their costs.  Do you think Canon is going to send a lawyer to your local small claims court if you threaten to bring them there, or do you think they will re-imburse you for a new printhead?

You have a very good point trhere.  I wonder how long this message will remain up before the Canon forum moderators edit, alter or remove it for some sort of "forum guidlines" infraction 😉

I posted a video of a guy taking a hammer to a printer, and they edited my post and said it was against the guidlines.  I read their guidlines VERY carefully, and found no grounds whatsoever for them to edit my post.

So...I guess I am a bit late. I have the MG5520. Doing the same darn thing! I don't even see this model in the lawsuit. The printer has been discontinued. The cost of a new printhead is more than a new one! WTH CANON!!! If I can't get it to work...I will never buy a Canon printer again, and will make it a mission to post comments telling people not to buy one everywhere they are sold online. Also the pink and blue cartridges need to be replaced, and I just put those in NEW less then 2 weeks ago! I only print mostly black and white!
Announcements