cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sRGB vs Adobe RGB camera setting (when using LR editing software)?

raphaelshammaa
Contributor

Hi guys,

sRGB vs Adobe RGB camera setting (when using LR editing software)?

What do you think? Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For the images displayed on the camera's screen, they will be JPEG previews.  Though I'm not 100% sure if you'd see a difference if the color space was sRGB or AdobeRGB since the display itself is most likely an 8-bit panel with narrow color space capabilities.

When you say "naturally sends RAW files" though, that all depends on what you've set your camera to capture.   e.g. you can set it to capture JPEG only, RAW only or both RAW and JPEG.   Be sure to always capture RAW for the most flexibility with editing, printing, etc.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

That setting is just for the sake of JPEG files the camera produces.  When capturing RAW images, you can then export to whatever color space you need.   Generally, export with sRGB if the target is the web.   And AdobeRGB or other color spaces for printing or other situations where wider color spaces are desirable.

For Lightroom (External Editing tab), I set the Color Space to ProPhoto RGB (the widest color space available).

--
Ricky

Thank you rs. So the in-camera setting determines the look-and-feel of the images I see on the camera monitor only. The camera naturally sends raw files to my Mac. Right?

For the images displayed on the camera's screen, they will be JPEG previews.  Though I'm not 100% sure if you'd see a difference if the color space was sRGB or AdobeRGB since the display itself is most likely an 8-bit panel with narrow color space capabilities.

When you say "naturally sends RAW files" though, that all depends on what you've set your camera to capture.   e.g. you can set it to capture JPEG only, RAW only or both RAW and JPEG.   Be sure to always capture RAW for the most flexibility with editing, printing, etc.

--
Ricky

Indeed. Thank you for an enlightening response.

Announcements