cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoomBrowser EX has stopped working

PO1
Contributor

I have zoombrowser version 6.11 on my win 8.1 machine and just now it has stopped working with Zb module has stopped working. I don't have an installation disc and my alternative software Digital Photo Professional is incredibly slow and beyond my capabilities. The internet purpots to have a free version but when I download it it instals something called "fast" ,..... which won;t launch anyway as my McCafee says its a 'virus;

I spend over 70% of my computer time processing my wildlife photos for INaturalist and am devastated that this has happened and does not seem to be able to be resolved .. unless someone here can help me? I have done a system restore but it seemed to have made it worse as now Zoombrowser will show the error before even launching into the program whereas before I foolishly uninstalled it (in an effort to correct the problem), it would only periodically crash in when working within certain folders.

I am a technophobe as you can possibly guess and would welcome any help to get this great image editing resource back on my computer.

Thanks  

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Windows 8.1 went out of support (end of life) in Jan of 2023.  A year ago.

Zoom Browser EX was supported through Windows 7 (it's out of support as well)

It was replaced with Image Browser EX which was supported in windows 8.1

Continuing to use operating systems which are end of life and connected to the internet is risky.  Anti-virus software helps to mitigate risk, but ultimately is not a solution.  Most importantly, its not a good idea.

Digital Photo Professional.  This a free post processing image editor.  It is free and there is nothing named "fast" as part of its installation.  Downloading software from questionable sources can also put you at risk. 

If you are in the US, safe downloads for your product can be found here.  Just enter the name / model of your product.

Canon Support | Software and Drivers | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

DPP is not a resource intensive program, and its minimum system requirements are not overly demanding.  To avoid compatibility and performance issues, please consider upgrading your hardware and OS to something current, under support and capable of running modern applications.  This will help you get a great imaging resource to work with again.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

PO1
Contributor

Thanks for your help but I was hoping you would not say what you did. I am a real (old man) technophobe (UK based) who just goes into a panic when faced with these computer remedies that are (seemingly) explained dryly by technophiles as if it were as easy as that? I have DPP version 4 and just cannot use it .. for the processes that I need ... 1000's of photos to process for iNaturalist. I do not have Win 10 as my workplace 'upgraded' to it from Win 7 (they held out as long as they could) and it was nothing but TROUBLE. Likewise I installed MS Edge .. once ..never again! ...it just gummed everything up (Chrome is generally hassle free).

My current set-up though slowish did WORK until this Zb module problem. I appreciate that one day I will have to bite the bullet and upgrade ...or just continue without Zoombrowser and try and do everything through Windows "Photos"

As an interim measure could I install this Image Browser EX from the internet? (My hoping-for option is to repair Zoombrowser of course). 

PO1
Contributor

If i were able to get an installation disc and re-install zoombrowser 6.11 would that work (temporarily?). Is this a windows support thing rather than a zoombrowser corrupted file?

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Re-installing Zoom browser EX.  Although possible, its unlikely to work.

What is the model of the Canon product you own?  Let see what options are available.  

In the meantime, have a look at this KB Article:

Canon Knowledge Base - Troubleshooting procedures when getting a ZB Module has encountered and error...

It discusses how to enable compatibility mode which may or may not be applicable to your issue.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

PO1
Contributor

I got zoombrowser when I bought a new (red-bodied) 1100D in 2013. I then bought a 600D and a 350D both S/H and then later my most expensive acquisition an 850D. Finally a S/H 7D Mk 2 ... which has been my best camera yet. Various lenses, sigma and Canon 105mm Macro and a100 - 400mm EF Mk 1 (push/pull) zoom.

My Dell computer has a built-in card reader and therefore I do not connect the camera to the computer. I believe Canon's alternative to zoombrowser require the camera to be plugged in .. though I have had no time to research this) I open the files on the card from my computer and copy them into specific folders into external hard drive folders (I use hard drives so that I don't have to use a cloud ... the data is in MY domain). 

As I said in replying to another post, my work is paralysed without it. My processing requirements are simple and rely on basic stuff (light and colour adjustments, cropping re-sizing and exporting jpegs carried out with expediency. My DPP software does not do this. 

Thanks for giving this your attention. I will look at link right now 🙂   

PO1
Contributor

Hi Rick

Just looked at your link and I've already seen this and tried to sort it to no avail. I moved all the files out of My pictures but the module problem persists. I also went to a computer shop this morning to look into getting win 10 installed (yuk!) but not sure if my old cd version of zoombrowser EX 5.7 will work. The version I have that is faulty is v 6.11 and was an upgrade from the Canon site when they used to have zoombrwoser.

Still don't know why a data (system?) restore didn't correct it tho ....   

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Moving towards your goal.  You can upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10 for free.  Microsoft never disabled this option.  The metro interface in 8.1 was unpopular.  Either is available to you.  There is nothing bad about window 10 beyond your comfort and familiarity.  Your Dell if it runs Windows 8.1 can run windows 10, even if its 32 bit architecture.  DPP will run under windows 8.1 or 10 (64 bit).  Opening images from external disks can create a performance bottle neck and is slower than internal storage.  If you stick with older hardware, you need to be willing to accept the performance trade-offs.  

You appear to have some issues which system restore, maintenance, uninstall or repair has not solved.  I would focus on the following:

Install a fresh copy of windows 8.1 (least desirable)

Install a fresh copy of windows 10 (better choice than above)

Use DPP or GIMP for photo editing** - both are free.  Note **DPP requires 64 bit hardware and OS.  GIMP might also require this.  This demonstrates my last recommendation below.

(Best) Buy a modern computer and put this behind you.  Time is money and it sounds like you've had this computer for many years.  Your cameras are at the 10+ yr mark as well.  Trying to use a platform or equipment forever is not realistic and has already proven to be an impedance to your productivity.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have DPP 4 already installed on my computer. In the process of trying to get-over the non-familiar interface problem I've also found that various features do not work. I don't know whether my computer is 32 bit or 64 bit. When I bought it it came with windows 8 anyway. MS offered an upgrade early-on to 10 as everyone pretty much hated 8 but this was fraught with problems (users were the guinea pigs) .. which they now have (probably) resolved.

Between my last email to you and now,  I tried using a help site via a Canon website, I had to pay a pound to do so (and that wouldn't go through with the bank rejecting the payment and then a lengthy conversation re. fraud check .. why is everything so complicated these days??!!). I used another card, but then the operator said for an extra £22, if I gave permission, would gain access to my computer to do the repair .... though he did not say whether I would still have to pay if he was unsuccessful.

I declined. The bank rep investigating the 'potential fraud' said I had done the right thing .. but it has put me back to square 1. The bank rep also told me to contact the help company and decline any membership as I may have inadvertently signed to a monthly fee. This i did and received a confirmatory email. This is normal business practice?!? What a load of hassle.

Finally, as the help group put me onto another download (which again purported to be Zoombrowser but instead installed NCH Photopad .. another one with an alien interface) There was no file tree and things just kept crashing (probably incompatibility with my operating system?))

My missus was trying to help but I was ranting and ready to throw the machine out the window ... I've pretty much come to the (your) conclusion that I need to upgrade either the operating system and/or the computer .. and have already made moves to get prices from a S/H shop which i believe to be reputable. If I don't get zoombrowser back then it will be having to go through the slow painful process of learning to use DPP4 ... why does it not have an "OK" button to acknowledge your edit changes? What's the point of changing things that work ... re-inventing the wheel for something that is more complicated and less likely to work. Simplicity and expediency is key .. especially when you have lots to process and don't want to get bogged down by complexity and super extra features that generally are of little use?

edit just checked:- it's 64 bit     

NB how do I back up if the Win 10 installation doesn't work? Most of my stuff is on the external hard drives so maybe that's a moot point. However my office suite is an old one from a free licence (through my former employer) and the product key is 'buried' somewhere .. so they'll probably force me to go on 356 and cough up more money. Also when MS without my permission sneakily upgraded to this 365 some time ago it also ruined my excel files formats (my key one being a list of my garden moth trapping with over 10 years worth of data with colour presentations) that took me many hours to put right ... hence my dislike of MS and their update based operating systems. i don't think I am the only one that thinks this too.

Thanks again for your help and I've had enough for today so will try and tackle the issue in the days to come  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Based on your description, its possible you were not engaging with Canon Support.  If you provided your bank card to someone over the phone, I'd replace the card with my financial institution.  Do not have any further contact with this person or company. 

Please do not expose yourself to potential fraud or identity theft.  At this point, I recommend you work in person with a repair shop, technical professional or new computer retailer.

Old software designed for earlier versions of windows doesn't work with newer operating systems in perpetuity.  Meaning, you should not plan for your ancient version of office suite to work with windows 11.   Whether you buy a new computer or do a fresh install, I suggest you not bring your old issues to a new computer.  Your pictures are fine, your old software and programs no.   

Good luck.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements