cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't canon update drivers for Mac OS?

whtw14
Contributor

I forgot that canon does not update drivers and updated to Sonoma 14.1.1 and there isn't a driver update yet. this is ridiculous and has me wanting to leave canon altogether. I use my canon to stream on my computer, streamyard and now i can't use it to stream and who knows when they will update. very frustrating

32 REPLIES 32

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

It would be helpful if you could identify your Canon product for us.  You mentioned streaming, so I suspect this is a camera.  Are you using the webcam pro utility?  More information is needed.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1,  EOS camera no longer shows up in Zoom. It was doing fine in MacOS 14.0 (as I recall) and MacOS 13.

t6i

siocone
Contributor

to the first point (what the hell is this **bleep** that you have to pay for simple image transfer?
OK, let's leave that aside.
OSX 14.1.1 Webcam pro 2.0.30 in the problem the cam is not recognized after a lot of back and forth. but I can't find the camera in OBS, Skype, Teamviewer or anywhere else. It also doesn't appear in the system control under cameras (EOS 5d Mark IV) tethering cabel

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This is a Mac OS problem not a Canon problem. It happens every time Apple updates the Mac OS. As a Mac user you should be used to it. Just hope that's the only thing that doesn't work. Canon will address it as soon as they figure out what Apple has done.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Clearly this is a Canon problem. Webcams of all types can still be recognized without any problems. And if Canon wants money for such a cheap tool, they should also work on making it work and then really without delay. Everything else is a pure rip-off

Apple has a beta program specifically for this purpose, so if you develop Mac OS software you have an opportunity to know that your software will be broken by upcoming Mac OS releases, before your customers find out.  I agree that it is annoying that Mac OS changes frequently break existing software and require them to be upgraded. But that's not an excuse for being sloppy on Canon's side, by not participating in the beta program and tracking changes that Apple makes.

this only happens with canon (as far as with what i use) and it will be months before they release an update

@whtw14 wrote:

this only happens with canon (as far as with what i use) and it will be months before they release an update

It happens to almost every brand that publishes FREE software for their camera customers.  A simple web search will show you that this also happens to Nikon and Sony.  The other brands are off my radar.

It is not in Apple’s best interests for third party camera to work seamlessly with Apple products.  Apple would much rather see you buy a “new camera” from Apple in the form of a new iPhone or IPad.  This is exactly why you cannot use an external camera with Apple apps like FaceTime.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements