cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which photo editing software?

darnol1
Contributor

I am looking for recommendations of a solid but not over-the-top software program (I have an iMac) to use for basic photo editing (e.g. white balance, cropping), and can edit RAW.  I have a Canon 7D Mk II.  Would Adobe Elements be sufficient?

12 REPLIES 12

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Adobe Elements would be more than sufficient.

iPhoto or Photos would take care of most of this and provide the basic editing, too.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Adobe Elements would be more than sufficient.

iPhoto or Photos would take care of most of this and provide the basic editing, too.

Adobe Elements 2018 does not perform lens correction.  If prior versions once did it, then be aware that the most recent version does not.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AFAIK, I am not sure which version I currently have, Adobe Photoshop Elements comes with Camera RAW which *does* do lens correction.

And I meant to say earlier that iPhoto and Photos are good image organizers for lazy folks (like me) *and* they do the basic editing, too.

@kvbarkley wrote:

AFAIK, I am not sure which version I currently have, Adobe Photoshop Elements comes with Camera RAW which *does* do lens correction.

And I meant to say earlier that iPhoto and Photos are good image organizers for lazy folks (like me) *and* they do the basic editing, too.

Right.  ACR RAW that installs with PSE is now crippled. No more lens correction.

I used to unflinchingly recommend Lightroom but now they have abandoned the stand alone model and the purchase model and now it is only available in a big bundle of stuff you don't need you rent for a monthly fee.   **bleep**. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

It's not a "big bundle of stuff"; you get Lightroom and Photoshop.

I understand that some folks don't like the subscription model, but $10/month for Lightroom and a free copy of Photoshop isn't a bad deal.

But, for basic editing Canon DPP4 is very good.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@Waddizzle wrote:

@kvbarkley wrote:

Right.  ACR RAW that installs with PSE is now crippled. No more lens correction.

This is what the control panel looks like ACR 10.1 with PSE.

ACR_10-1.Copy.PNG

ACR has been severely crippled.

I haven't had PSE on my computer for a long, long time but I don't remember it ever did lens correction.  Maybe it did but it escapes me at the moment.

It is still the best choice for the amateur post editor.  Especially when you consider all the rest of the stuff it does.  The things that Moms like for instance.  The ability to use layers can not be understated, too.  Easily give up lens correction for layers.

So my suggestion is still PSE12 or whatever number they are up to now!  If you want to use several programs then DPP4 and the other programs that also come free with the camera are a good choice, too.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@darnol1 wrote:

I am looking for recommendations of a solid but not over-the-top software program (I have an iMac) to use for basic photo editing (e.g. white balance, cropping), and can edit RAW.  I have a Canon 7D Mk II.  Would Adobe Elements be sufficient?

For those types of edits most people use Lightroom or Canon Digital Photo Professional which was included free with your camera.

Photoshop (elements or otherwise) is more of a graphic artist's tool. 

In my opinion when a photo is processed beyond that which can be done in Lightroom or DPP, it is no longer a photograph, but, has moved into the realm of digital art. 

Announcements