cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I use Canon EOS Webcam Utility (G7X Mark iii), I get noticeable grain and noise in the video?

Otto367
Apprentice

My camera is a canon G7X Mark III. When I record myself with it individually, I don't have any noticeable grain and the video quality is quite nice. However, when I try to use my camera as a webcam using the eos webcam utility software, I get noticeable grain. Keep in mind, that I used the same background, lighting and same time of day so I doubt it would be that. I experimented with lighting to see if this could be a possible issue but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I also looked at ISO and Aperture but for these things, I don't know if I am doing anything wrong. 

Also, my setup for using my camera as a webcam is plugging a usb c adapter from the camera to my laptop. 

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Otto and welcome to the Forum:
Have you considered that your cable is generating the noise in your image?  Have you the means to use another cable and another port into your computer?  It might well be worth checking those out.
(BTW 'grain' is a characteristic of film because of the chemistry, so noise is the correct term for digital).

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have tried another cable and I have looked in the manual as well. The cable switching didn't work.

Thanks for that response.  Do you have another port in the computer into which you can plug the cable?  Just trying to eliminate every element...

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Yeah I have tried different ports but they unfortunately don't make a difference. 

Announcements