cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Utility producing 4:3 vs. 16:9 aspect ratio

sfgopher
Contributor

I have a Rebel T5i. I've installed the latest version of the webcam utility. I have a MAC. I've tried both Zoom and Google Meet and the results are the same. My video is displayed in 4:3 aspect ration vs. wide screen 19:6. On the sides of the video are 2 black bars. Any help in fixing this is greatly appreciated. 

I've followed the getting started guide and have my camera's movie recording size set to 1920 x 1080 (30 fps).

webcam image wide is off.png

15 REPLIES 15

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@sfgopher wrote:

I have a Rebel T5i. I've installed the latest version of the webcam utility. I have a MAC. I've tried both Zoom and Google Meet and the results are the same. My video is displayed in 4:3 aspect ration vs. wide screen 19:6. On the sides of the video are 2 black bars. Any help in fixing this is greatly appreciated. 

I've followed the getting started guide and have my camera's movie recording size set to 1920 x 1080 (30 fps).

webcam image wide is off.png

I found this in the FAQ section of the EOS Webcam Utility forum.

00F5A71E-D990-4D8F-967E-4305B0616FDF.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I believe the first FAQ that Waddizzle pointed out reveals the issue.  When measuring the image in the screenshot, it's right at a 3:2 aspect ratio; the default ratio for photos.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thank you all for the quick replies. Perhaps this is just an issue then with the T5i since I believe I'm in video mode.

IMG_7674.jpg

Change canon dail setting select to P and try again - And yes you have to be in video shooting mode. Mine works fine although I have T6i

Thanks! I just tried P + Video shooting mode and that doesn't seem to work either. My guess is that the firmware on the T5i just didn't support 16:9 ratio via USB cable. I've also tried an HDMI card and unfortunuately while that supports 16:9 for some reason Canon added a fairly broad border all around the image. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also tried all the settings without a success. I have a T3i. Is it worth trying the HDMI route from your perspective?

DesignCode
Apprentice

I had the same problem. Except I was using a Canon Rebel T3i

sfgopher
Contributor
That’s even worse. I bought a the cable and video capture device and set it all up. The aspect ratio is correct, but for some reason Canon decided to add a black frame around the entire video feed so the actual content looks very small. I filed a ticket with Canon and after researching they agreed that it was their firmware and not the capture card that’s adding the black frame.

Thanks for your response. It sounds like there is no perfect solution so far with the black border then. Are you sticking with this? or, are you giving up on using Canon as the webcam?
Announcements