cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning R5 Firmware 2.0 problem with back level rf70-200f2.8 firmware

JohnLindsey
Contributor

The awful the Canon camera firmware update process doesn't have any relationship to the lens firmware process, so when updating to the latest camera firmware, you need to make sure that you have the latest firmware installed for all your lenses.  I updated to the R5 firmware and while many of my RF lenses worked fine, when using my RF70-200 the camera wouldn't work, blank screen.  While with a lot of playing round would allow the lens/camera to start working, every time the camera is turned off it may fail to work again. 

After returning home and checking for lens update firmware, the problem is resolved.

Lens firmware rf7020028 V114 is required for eorr5-v200 to work

There really needs to be a much better way to manage the lens and battery firmware as it relates to camera firmware.  I'd be more than willing to have all the other firmware pieces included in the Camera firmware if there was a way for the camera to check when a lens is installed. 

While I gave up my Sony and Nikon systems after seeing how well addition functions became available with firmware updates, things are getting a little strange lately.

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Where did you see this? > "Lens firmware rf7020028 V114 is required for eorr5-v200 to work".  Is this documented somewhere?  Can you provide a reference please.

FW 1.1.4 for the RF 70-200 f2.8 adds support for focus breathing correction in movie mode.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yeah, that's the problem as it's not documented, but the camera firmware 2.0 is expecting the lens firmware v144 and errors out if it is not current.  I'm guessing that I'll have to go through my 20 lenses and see if there are any others that need updating, but if there isn't an update for a lens the web page errors out so it takes a while. 

Note: when I say errors out, I really mean the program falls through and does something unexpected.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thus far I have not seen any reports of this requirement from others.  Your claim is the first.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

While out in a park with a RF10-20F4 on one R5 and a RF70-200F2.8 on another R5, I had no problems with the RF10-20 camera, but the Camera with the RF70-200F2.8 camera would black screen and it was really hard to get it to wake up.  When I got back home I also didn't have any issues with that camera with a RF200-800 or RF100-500.  I then guessed there might be a lens update that might have missed and is required and after downloading and updating the issues went away.  

JohnLindsey
Contributor

Turns out that one of my R5s was having a lens contact problem.  I'm still not sure why it only showed up with the new R5 firmware, but when the camera failed to fully power on, I started trying different lenses.  I tried cleaning the camera contacts and the problem went away.  It would seem like there should be an error displayed when the camera thinks the lens isn't fully seated, rather that just a black screen.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'm glad you figured it out and confirmed it was not a firmware dependency.  At least you know what it was now.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yeah, unfortunately I'm guessing that the camera firmware isn't smart enough to compensate for the deficiencies in the RF lens mount design.  When a lens doesn't mount quite right, then the camera doesn't recognize what the error is.  I have to wonder if it is part of the underlying problem that forced me to get a second RF15-35 F2.8 when the repair service said it was not repairable because of corrosion. 

Announcements