cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING Webcam Utility DOES NOT WORK with Mac M1 running Big Sur versions past 11.0

reeceguida
Apprentice

I want to save others the trouble: Webcam Utility will ONLY work for Mac M1 (AKA the 2020 models that don't have the Intel Chips) running Big Sur 11.0. Stop searching for a fix because there isn't one.

Canon: is adding support for this on your Webcam Utility roadmap? Can you PLEASE post a fix to your software? My only option is to revert back to Big Sur 11.0, and I can't do that because I don't have a backup.

I was so excited to use this beautiful camera for work/streaming and now I feel like I just put money in a paper shredder. I will glady return it for another if there's no promise of a fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

CNSPRAYB
Apprentice

For what it's worth, I checked reddit to see if others had this problem.  The suggestion I received was to download the version of zoom designed for intel macs.  When I did this the new zoom program instantly recognized EOS Webcam Utility.  I don't know what program you were trying to use your camera for, but this fixed my issue.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

Just found this thread after failing to get the utility working on a new M1 Mac Mini. I reverted Chrome from the M1 version to the x86 version, running under Rosetta, but the webcam utility still didn't work. 

This was on Big Sur 11.3. Really hoping Canon updates this because I'm going to have to keep a dedicated second machine around just for the webcam until it works. 

tokris
Contributor
I had the same problem. There is a workaround however annoying. Revert your Google Meet, Zoom or whatever software you are using to the Intel version and do not use the "universal" version for the m1 chip; it works like a charm for now. It does mean that you can not use Safari plugins, however, because you can not revert to the Intel version of that software. Canon's software does not play well with any updated software. Hope this helps and I hope that Canon updates their software soon (sadly, it will likely take them until the ned of the year).

This didn't work for me, unfortunately. Hoping it gets updated soon, and/or I find something else to use besides the EOS Utility.

I ran out of time waiting for Canon to make the EOS Webcam Utility compatible with whichever of Big Sur and the M1 chip that broke my setup and found an alternative. I initially was going to go with the Elgato Camlink but that doesn't appear to work for a 7D, only the 7D Mark II, so I looked around and finally found Cascable Pro Webcam for the Mac. It picked up the 7D just fine and - so far at least - has worked without issue. 

It's $40, unlike the free Canon utility, but if you need it for work and can't wait just a heads up that it works for me with the aforementioned 7D running on the M1 under Big Sur. 

tokris
Contributor
Three of us! I bought Cascable Pro Webcam as well; they have turned a profit from the three of us.

bbjacob
Apprentice

ANY FIXES CANON TEAM?!!!

Bought the Camera just for webcam and now it does not work!!!??

What is going on?! When will this be fixed?!

I think we have to wait a few more years before they bother looking after their customers...Smiley Sad

ecachucho
Apprentice

Orgs do not have to pay for separate licensing for each element. An Apple developer account or enterprise is all that is needed, licensing for unlimited apps, extensions etc are done through the developer portal even on a normal developer account (ie not taking account of enterprise accounts)

It's absurd that anti-apple users use this as an excuse for Canon basically taking 3-5years minimum to support Mac devices (I'd say this even goes for Windows devices, as even when I had those, Canon software was always >insert poop emoji<.

Cascable is a good case in point they have been able to deliver a service many multiples better than what Canon could ever support, and they have not done so with boatloads of money or corporate clout.

If Canon wanted to do so they could have, I'm sure Apple would jump on the opportunity to show how well their devices work with the camera hardware. There clearly is just no imperative from Canon, and that lies SOLELY on them as a company.

@ecachucho wrote:

Orgs do not have to pay for separate licensing for each element. An Apple developer account or enterprise is all that is needed, licensing for unlimited apps, extensions etc are done through the developer portal even on a normal developer account (ie not taking account of enterprise accounts)

It's absurd that anti-apple users use this as an excuse for Canon basically taking 3-5years minimum to support Mac devices (I'd say this even goes for Windows devices, as even when I had those, Canon software was always >insert poop emoji<.

Cascable is a good case in point they have been able to deliver a service many multiples better than what Canon could ever support, and they have not done so with boatloads of money or corporate clout.

If Canon wanted to do so they could have, I'm sure Apple would jump on the opportunity to show how well their devices work with the camera hardware. There clearly is just no imperative from Canon, and that lies SOLELY on them as a company.

Development is just one facet of it.  Distribution is done through Apple, which is another fee.  Canon is not unique to this problem.  All camera manufacturers suffer this same issue with Apple.  It is not in Apple's best self interests for it to work.

The biggest selling point on a new iPhone is what?  The camera.  Everything else has pretty much remained the same in an iPHone for years.  Apple would much rather you buy a camera from them, than a camera from another manufacturer to use with their iPhones and iPads.  This also holds true for the Mac personal computers

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

nussi
Apprentice

Hey Guys

Since i Switched from Windows HP Device to MAC M1 Silicon with Big Sur 11.4 i cannot use my 6D with the ESO Webcam Utility anymore.

Can i subscribe somehow to get notified once this is availlable?

Thanks,

Tim

Announcements