cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to update R7 1.4.0 Firmware

annehayward
Contributor

Hello, I've been trying to update the firmware on my R7 per an email I received from Canon.

First, I tried on my MAC, and I couldn't access the .fir files.

Then, I switched to a PC.

Here's what I've done:

formatted a 32 gb SD card.  Originally, I did not check the "low usage" box,  but did so after reading forums here.

Downloaded the update, extracted the Zip file and now have the .fir file.

Moved it over to the formatted SD card.

Inserted card, turned camera on to "P" and then "update firm ware."  Also tried camera on "M."

The last 2 times, the camera seems to be reading the file as it asks if I want to "Update Firmware? 1.1.0>1.4.0 EOSR7140.FIR"

Before I used the low usage formatting, the camera could not even see the file on the SD card.  

The only box I can check is "cancel" as "ok" is grayed out.

The only way I can get rid of this message is to take the battery out and reinstall.

Please help.  This shouldn't be so difficult to do.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Are you sure the OK button isn't selectable? By default, "Cancel" will be highlighted.  Use the camera's select dial/joystick to move to the selection to the "OK" button.

Glad you're now using a full-sized SD card.  Avoid micro-sized cards in the future as they cause so many issues.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Kristoff
Rising Star

Thanks for joining the conversation, annehayward!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which version of MacOS you are using (i.e. MacOS 14 Sonoma, MacOS 11 BigSur, etc). That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

It did not work on my MAC, so I went to my Windows 10 PC.  The issues I am having are not with the computer (MAC vs. PC), but with the camera itself not reading the firmware on the SD card and then locking up with the only way to fix that issue is to take out the battery.  

You might want to try clicking on the grey OK button in any case.  I have heard that this sometimes happens but actually the button works anyway.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Nope, doesn't work.  The camera freezes up.  The only way to unfreeze is to take the battery out.

Do you have a second SD card to try? Ensure it's a full-sized card and not a micro-sized card with an adapter.   Preferable to also be a reputable brand.

--
Ricky

The first SD card was one of those with a micro-sized card.  Camera couldn't read the file (probably because I did not check the "low data" when reformatting the card.

I am now using a 32 gb Scan Disk that has been reformatted several times with each try.  I checked the "low data" the last 2 times when reformatting.  At least the camera acts like it can read the file on the disc now.  It asks do I want to update?  I click "yes", then it goes to this screen:

"Update Firmware? 1.1.0>1.4.0 EOSR7140.FIR"

I click yes, then it goes to a screen that says "cancel" or "ok".  Ok is greyed out.

The only way I can get rid of this message is to take the battery out and reinstall.

I've been working on this issue for 3 days now.  As I said, it shouldn't be this difficult to update firmware.  

Are you sure the OK button isn't selectable? By default, "Cancel" will be highlighted.  Use the camera's select dial/joystick to move to the selection to the "OK" button.

Glad you're now using a full-sized SD card.  Avoid micro-sized cards in the future as they cause so many issues.

--
Ricky

Thank you, thank you!

Announcements