cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutter Count From EOS 5D Mark II

Derrick111
Contributor

Hi, I just got a Canon 5D MKii from eBay and want to check the shutter count.  I have read that people use EOS Utility software from the Canon software support pages to check the shutter count, but I don't see it listed.  Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks!

/Derrick

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The EOS Utility software does not typically display shutter count.  I found an article as well that says it does with older cameras when tethered or by viewing and images EXIF data.  I don't have any older body's to try this with.  There are 3rd party applications that can or do.  ShutterCount and EOSInfo come to mind.

shadowsports_0-1692034450576.png

Canon Support can also provide this information, but I do not believe the 5D2 is still eligible for service or repair.  I believe its EOL.   

Lets see what others suggest.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The EOS Utility does not provide a way to read Shutter Count.  Unlike Nikon, Canon does not save the Shutter Count in the EXIF data of every photo.

The bottom line is this.  The most reliable way to get an accurate Shutter Count is to send the body to Canon for a cleaning service, and have them read the count for you.  Except, this camera body is no longer being service by Canon USA, I’m afraid.

There are software programs that clam to be able to read Shutter Count.  I am told a couple of them are reliable.  I’m telling you that most are not reliable.  

Finally, there are many who argue that Shutter Count has dubious value, present company included.  The shutter will fail whenever it gets ready to quit on you.  Shutter Count is also a somewhat misleading metric of how much wear and tear the camera body has experienced.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thanks for confirming this 🙂

@Derrick111

Something else to think about.  Does a bulb or live view exposure count as a single shutter actuation or more.

To Waddizzle's point.  Shutter count does not necessarily represent when a shutter will fail or how much wear a body has.  You often start seeing warning signs of a failing shutter. Streaks of light, etc. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Derrick111
Contributor

Thank you both.  I am already aware of the metrics, but I still need the shutter count.  A lot of people seem to be using EOSInfo.  Is that one of the ones that is reliable?  Where can I find this without getting an unsafe download?  IN other words, where is the trusted place to get it?  I could not determine from online searches...  Thanks!

As I noted above, I feel Shutter Count is of dubious value.  While some value it highly, I regard it as a can of worms that I would rather leave closed.

I have sold more than one camera body.  When someone asks me for a Shutter Count I raise my asking price to cover the cost of sending it to Canon for an accurate count. Of course, people do not like that any more than I like going through the bother of providing a count.

Here’s why.  It opens a line of back and forth discussion that I prefer to avoid.  They ask for a count and you provide it.  Now they want to know how can they be sure it is accurate.  A copy of the Canon service ticket is the strongest argument, except they don’t want to pay the extra money for it.

The next questions are when was the Shutter Count recorded?  How many photos have been taken since the Shutter Count was recorded?  And, it continues downhill from there.

Some people get angry when I raise the price.  I could care less.  If they want a count, then they can buy the camera and get a count they can trust on their own.  Just my two cents.

Derrick111
Contributor

I appreciate your views on the shutter count, but I still want it.  Can anyone please help me?

What OS are you running?

There is an app the runs on a Mac that is supposed to be accurate.  I would not know because I do not use a Mac.  Results may also be camera model dependent.

I have not heard of any reliable app for MS Windows.  Beware of some apps the claim to provide a shutter count.  Some actually modify the camera firmware so that they may read it and still get it wrong.

WHY do you want it so badly?  Don't trust the seller?

Derrick111
Contributor

Windows 10 on one and Win 7 on another.  I can do either if I must choose.  Thanks!

Announcements