cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Photostich Images - Where?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Where is Photostitch hiding the saved, merged images?  The default location In Windows 7 is in the same folder as the EXE file, in the folder named "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\PhotoStitch".  When I go to that folder to copy the image to a new location, it is nowhere to be found.

However, if I try to resave the merged image, I can see the filename, but with a lock icon on it.  When I tried to create a second merged image, but this time storing into my Pictures library, the same thing happens all over again.  Photostitch is creating files that only it, and its' viewer utility, can find. 

What good is the software package if you cannot use the the images that it creates?  Why is Photostitch hiding the files?

[EDIT]  Add Image of  Photostitch "Save As" DialogBox.

Capture.PNG

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Okay, the plot thickens.  The problems is now repeatable, and defeatable.  I can merge files with the 50mm.

I regenerated the JPEGs from the RAW files, but this time without any shooting info.  Photostitch was happy.  It merrily opened up every file, without complaint or error info box, and then expertly merged them into one panorama. 

It was just as I suspected.  The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM might be nifty, but Canon software doesn't seem to think so.  Canon software likes to exclude it from the party.  So far, I'm batting 0.000 with it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

BREAKING NEWS:  PhotoStitch has mysteriously fixed itself.  My first time running it, it was saving files in places that I could not find, despite the fact that I am logged in as administrator.  After a good night's sleep, PhotoStitch is now saving files that I can find on my hard drive. I have even created an impressive panaroma of a bridge.

However, Photostitch has come up with a new quirk.  Using the same lens that I used before, which is a manually focused Rokinon Cine 85mm T1.5, I now get an error message everytime that I "Open" a JPG shot with that lens.  I have noticed that photos taken with the lens lack any lens data.  Yesterday it was good.  Today I get the following error message box...

PhotoStitch_Error_RestartPhotoStitch_NoLensData.PNG

...but, I click "OK", and the program will happily open the file as if nothing is out of the ordinary.  I have even created an impressive panaroma of a bridge, which I shot this morning.  That's issue #1.

Issue #2 is that PhotoStitch doesn't like my lens that does report lens data to the JPG.  I'm using the 'nifty fifty", the EF 50mm f/1.8, which I have noticed does not have lens data appear in Digital Photo Professional, any version.  I'm getting the following message....

PhotoStitch_CannotMergeShortFocalLength.PNG

...but when I use the manually focused 85 mm, which does not report lens data to the JPG, I am prompted to enter a focal length from a drop down box.  A focal of 35 mm is one of the choices, but I select 85mm.  Curiously, when I click on "Merge Settings", this is what I see ....

PhotoStitch_MergeSettingsDisabled.PNG

.... the focal length selection is disabled.  Notice how the dropdown is greyed out, and reads "Auto Acquire..."  I assume that the program is reading lens data from the JPG files.  But, isn't 50mm supposed to be a valid focal length?   Or, is it that this particular lens, which doesn't appear in DPP, is no good here, either? 

IMG_2015_10_06_2768-2780.png

On the bright side, like I said, I was able to create one panoramic view of a bridge, but just at 85mm.   Uh, I think this one used 12 separate images.  It was the dark of the night when I took photo, though.  Most of the sky is being lit by not so distant city lights.

Okay, the plot thickens.  The problems is now repeatable, and defeatable.  I can merge files with the 50mm.

I regenerated the JPEGs from the RAW files, but this time without any shooting info.  Photostitch was happy.  It merrily opened up every file, without complaint or error info box, and then expertly merged them into one panorama. 

It was just as I suspected.  The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM might be nifty, but Canon software doesn't seem to think so.  Canon software likes to exclude it from the party.  So far, I'm batting 0.000 with it.

Thanks for this. I had same issue with PS refusing to stitch perfectly fine images because it did not like the focal length. Resaved images with all EXIF data stripped and PS then behaved nicely and did what it was asked. 

Really, Canon? The program can do it but you decide to stop it being able to do it because of some irrelevant EXIF data?

Announcements