cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Old Firmware Download?

kentinada
Contributor

Where can I download older versions of R5 firmware? Since installing v2.0, my R5 with my 100-500L lens is freezing for 5-10 seconds randomly.  

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Downgrading firmware is not officially supported. It's possible but I do not recommend it. 

In these situations we usually ask the following questions. 

Was this camera and lens purchased new or second hand?

Brand, type and model of your CFExpressB and SD cards.  In the case of SD, only full size cards should be used.  None with adapters.  Have they been formatted in the camera since the behavior began? 

Do you have any accessories on the camera? 

Is your battery OEM or third party? 

Does this happen with any other lens mounted?

Last and most importantly. Please reset your camera's main and custom settings to defaults, then retest.

All downloads for your camera are available here. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r5#idReference%3Dsoftware-drivers

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

All the questions you ask, while good questions, are irrelevant to my situation. I have been shooting with this EXACT setup for many months and it has worked flawlessly. I shoot soccer games with my R5 and 100-500L lens. The ONLY difference is the v2.0 firmware.  I have reset my basic settings and cleared my C3 custom mode and redefined it. I am going to try this out this morning at another soccer game. We’ll see what happens. But this freeze issue has happened before with the R5 and the 100-500L lens. I just hope this reset resolves it for me.  Canon should support rolling back one version of the firmware for exactly this kind of issue. 

Peter
Authority
Authority

SHA256 checksum for the original Canon 1.9.0 Windows Zip file is 778e20e006453fdd3a09abfc2397309c8b69d5a332738cdda37c4eeac405acf6 eosr5-v190-win.zip

You find it at Canon USA https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0400008816/01/eosr5-v190-win.zip

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I understand what you are thinking.  "I was fine until I applied v2.0".  Resetting, and immediately re-applying personalization isn't necessarily a confirmation of things.  My fault for not being more clear.  Can you also confirm you haven't restored a settings back up from another FW version?  Sorry to ask all these questions, but if we don't ask, something basic could be overlooked.  

I don't think there are any FW updates for the lens that might be relevant to your issue, and its been several years since the last one was released.  

I hope your shoot today will go better and you won't experience the freezing.  Please update us after the game.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

My shoot didn't go any better today.  BUT when I got home, I was intending to try it with another lens but I tried some with my 100-500L at home and sure enough, it froze. Actually the power went out because the LCD goes completely blank.  Then I notices that my battery grip lock ring was very loose.  Once I tightened back down, I shot dozens of high speed shots and it didn't fail.  Probably the batteries were coming loose so I hope this is fixed.  

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Great news.  As you can see,  "..using accessories" was one of my questions.

Hopefully that was it  😃.    I haven't heard of any widespread issues with v2.0 FW.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements