cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons

joshcruz
Contributor
First, I'd like to thank Canon for making this possible. Clients I regularly meet over Zoom are wowed. They comment on how nice the "lighting" is in my home office. Yes we built our home office five years ago, because our business model has always been conducive to it.

Second, I didn't have any installation and run issue. My laptop is an ROG i7, 32gb RAM, 256gb SSD + 2TB HDD, Nvidia 1050. Note that I use the type C to type C cable so that my cameras are also charged when it's not being used. USB to type also works for me btw.

I've seen more errors frankly with my EOS R than with both my RP and M6II. Whenever I turn off the R while connected to my laptop, it won't power back, shows an error which means I needed to remove the battery. This happens regardless of the lens I'm using on the R.

It works almost flawlessly on the RP and M6II. All the settings can be adjusted easily. I have relatively long arms so I can prefer adjusting settings on the camera itself, with the screen flipped to face me. I would have 3-4 batteries on standby for all-day meetings plus a ready charger. I observe that each fully charged battery lasts around 70-75mins with video digital stabilizing off and sound recording off since I'm using a Jabra 510 on my laptop for both audio input and output.

I noticed video is smoother if I stay in the range of 1/25 to 1/100 shutter speeds. I don't know why. I often pick 1/30 - 1/60.

Focus hunting happens more frequently on auto ISO than on any fixed ISO setting. Again, I don't know why. This is especially true with the RP+RF35mm combo. I need to observe if it will happen in the M6II +16mm Sigma 1.4 combo. Will share the experience back here later.

Video settings that look best are low sharpness, low contrast, +2 saturation, warmer tone, for me. Adjust to your taste, of course.

My home office has windows that let generous amounts of sunlight in so through daytime there are minor adjustments I do for exposure consistency. At night I use a mini-studio light set to 20% power, about
four feet away from me. This maintains a "newsroom" kind of ambient lighting too. In the background my two big monitors have backlighting to balance the glare of screensavers when they kick in. I stopped using Window's default screensavers and would just go to YouTube for HD screensavers. The Matrix one doesn't get old. There's also an aquarium HD that you can pick.

Lastly, take time to adjust your camera setting while on Zoom. I learned that my instinctive settings for video don't always work. Videoconferencing makes the output look more flat, hence wide aperture lenses really make a difference.

Hope this helps.
0 REPLIES 0
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements