cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShot S2 IS - what software program can I now use to download to my PC

notmyrealname
Apprentice

Hello,

When I bought my PowerShot S2 1S years back, the seller provided me a program made by a company called ArcSoft, software is called MediaImpression, to use to download my pictures from this camera to my PC. My PC is now Windows 10 and that software, which is now version 3.6.2.278, still work fine.

I've just bought a new Windows 11 PC and in trying to download the program to my new computer I found that ArcSoft stopped that product a while back. I can still get an earlier version MediaImpression, 3.5.0.1114  from another website that keep them, if that could even suffice.

Instead, I thought maybe someone here knows of a more up-to-date software that would be compatible with both my PowerShot S2 1S and Windows 11? Free is best, but if it's one you buy at least I will know there is an option out there, if in case my old computer someday bites the dust, my camera won't have to die with it..

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

normadel
Authority
Authority

Have you looked in Windows "This PC", or  File Explorer, to see if the camera is shown under  "Devices and Drives"?

You should not need ANY software just to copy/move files from the camera to the computer. The camera should appear as a drive. You open the drive and look in the DCIM folder. There are your files. Drag and drop them to your computer, wherever you want them.

Alternately, you can take out the memory card and put it in a card-to-USB adapter and plug it into the computer, look at Devices and Drives for it, and copy/move that way.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Camera window is still available for windows 10 (free).  It might install under windows 11 in compatibility mode.

Canon Support for PowerShot S2 IS | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

There has been significant innovation in digital photography since the S2's release in 2004.  Its now a member of the

shadowsports_1-1670672602337.png

Respectfully.  Its the holidays, there are some terrific deals available.  I think its time for New Camera Day.  You should treat yourself.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

Ha, I know what you mean! But, I drive a 1984 Camaro. My house is 65 years old and that's young for my neighborhood. I have some clothes that are older than this camera! LOL. Books, too. I had a microwave oven that lasted 30+ years and a clock radio that's 50 years old, a 1930's console radio and old pinball machines from the 50s. The only reason I got a new computer (it was a gift, actually) is that my existing one cannot upgrade to Win 11 but it still work great and I will keep it until it can run no more. I take good care of my stuff! Things last with me! And If I had a wife I would not trade her in for a new model! My mind just does not see things as having expiration dates. No product euthanasia for me!

normadel
Authority
Authority

Have you looked in Windows "This PC", or  File Explorer, to see if the camera is shown under  "Devices and Drives"?

You should not need ANY software just to copy/move files from the camera to the computer. The camera should appear as a drive. You open the drive and look in the DCIM folder. There are your files. Drag and drop them to your computer, wherever you want them.

Alternately, you can take out the memory card and put it in a card-to-USB adapter and plug it into the computer, look at Devices and Drives for it, and copy/move that way.

Hi normadel,

Oh, for crying out loud! Of course. You're right. Of course. As soon as you said that, I went DOH! I even tried it and it works, just  like most any similar device that you can plug into a USB port on a computer. Clearly, I am a creature of habit and need to update my thinking even if I update nothing else around this house! LOL.

Thank you!

Now, if I can only find my misplaced driver CD for my 2004 Epson Stylus Photo R200 printer. That little thing is perky and looks as new as the day I got it. It's one device I can't just plug in and have it print. I'd hate to throw it away, horrors, if I can just find the driver for it.

Merry Christmas!

Glad to offer the reminder. Can you now mark my response as "Accepted"?

Done.

Announcements