cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OBS & Webcam Utility Not Working (Mac)

lifelonglearner
Apprentice

Hi, 

I've been trying to use my Canon m50 within OBS via the Webcam Utility.

Unfortunatly I haven't been able to do it on two seperate Macbook pros. I upgraded one from High Sierra to Catalina to see if that would make a difference but no go. I don't have EOS Utility. It worked flawlessly with the Zoom app but not on OBS. Now it's not showing up on Zoom after the upgrade. The camera showed up once on OBS but I haven't been able to do it again.

Any ideas? 

Thanks! 

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The webcam utility was never intended to work as a high resolution, live streaming video camera.  It is designed only for use in video conferencing with web based applications.

560532F9-040F-4BB2-90F1-256B6F4F0EE9.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks!

I don't need it to be high resolution--I'm fine with the lower resolution. I'm streaming max 1 hour on IG and I read a Canon employee say that damage to the sensor & overheating is not a concern because you are not recording. While I understand your comment on its original intent, it was also not originally intened to be a webcam either so i'm just trying to take advantage of it's possibilities. 

@lifelonglearner wrote:

Thanks!

While I understand your comment on its original intent, it was also not originally intened to be a webcam either so i'm just trying to take advantage of it's possibilities. 

Correct!  The cameras were not originally intended to be used as a web camera.  But, that has changed.

Canon released a software package that allows many cameras to be used as web cameras.  Again, the intent of the webcam utility is to allow the cameras to be used for video conferencing, not as a high resolution, video streaming device.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

here is the trick:

start hangout select EOS W.U (must be able to see the live feed)

open obs select EOS W.U

close hangout and the feed will appear in OBS

enjoy!! and thanks to canon for the web utility 🙂

TMiller823
Apprentice

Hi, OP. I'm running into a similar issue. I have a brand-new MacBook Pro running OBS. I have a Rebel T7 and have downloaded the webcam driver for it. However, I only get a black screen when I plug it in and run it as a source in OBS.

The funny thing is that it works just fine on my older Dell Laptop. Picture looks pretty good and everything runs fine. The problem is that I don't trust that computer to properly live stream as it's a few years old and hasn't been reliable for some time now. Could it be possible that the Mac driver for the webcam app needs to be updated? I believe Catalina had an update in the last month or so. I'm no tech guru so I don't know what I'm talking about haha. 

I did end up figuring it out but I can't fully remember now bc I don't use it as much. Sorry!

I feel like it was something like changing the resolution back and forth that made it show up but I can't fully remember....

I continued to mess around with the properties.
Inside OBS I unchecked the "Use Preset" checkbox, selected the Frame Rate "Simple FPS Values --> 29.97, and voila! It works!

I think that was it! Glad it worked for you!

garrettn
Apprentice

Hi, 

I'm getting a blank screen in OBS also.  

My steps:

1. The utility installs appropriately;

2. restart my computer;

3. turn on the M50 camera to movie mode;

4. insert microUSB; connect lightning on mac;

5. I start OBS, add a new video capture device; it autoselects 960x540, but the preview screen and the main OBS screen remain black.  

6. ...I double checked that the lens cap is off LOL

Does the camera's resolution make a difference?  

Thanks for any advice!

cheers n' blessings,

G

Announcements