cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EOS 5D Mark IV keeps shutting off when tethering with EOS Canon utility software

vector224
Contributor

Hello, I am a product photographer and I use tethering all the time to shoot products I use I EOS utility software that comes from Canon in order to use tethering. However, I'm having a really annoying problem with my camera. The software keeps shutting off by itself while shooting for no reason at all and I cannot estimate the time when the software decides to shut off by itself!

In addition, sometimes my camera completely shut off while I am tethering not only EOS utility software, I am afraid that my expensive camera has an issue! My camera is a Canon 5D mark 4. I'm running my camera using an AC power adapter from a third party however I tried to use the original Canon battery that comes with the camera and the problem is still there so I guess the AC power adapter has nothing to do with it. Do you think the issue is from the EOS utility software or my camera? Please guys help me solve this issue, it's supper annoying.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

vector224
Contributor

I finally solved the issue! It turned out that the problem was because the USB port in my PC was not supplying the USB cable with enough power to run my camera ( Which most PC does by the way, especially for long cables)  that's why it keeps disconnecting, I solved the issue by buying an active USB 3.0 cable from Amazon, and I bought this exact cable and my issue has been fixed:
https://www.amazon.sa/-/en/dp/B07Q9Y1Y9Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a solution to this issue because it is extremely annoying and frustrating. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What type of computer and OS are you running?  Are you using the EOS Utility for tethering?

Am I correct to assume that you are only shooting stills, not video?  

Do you think the camera’s image sensor could be overheating from being “turned on” for extended or lengthy periods of time?  It does need to “rest” between shots, so that it can dissipate heat that has built up during the session.

[EDIT] Please try to provide enough info so that someone can try to reproduce your issue.  THX

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi there, thank you for your reply!

I am using windows 11 and yes I am using EOS utility for tethering and I only shoot photos I don't think my camera's image sensor is overheating because when I start my day I turn on the camera and my camera gets shut off in less than 30 minutes I also don't shoot multiple shots constantly maybe one photo every 3 minutes or something like that

@vector224 wrote:

Hi there, thank you for your reply!

I am using windows 11 and yes I am using EOS utility for tethering and I only shoot photos I don't think my camera's image sensor is overheating because when I start my day I turn on the camera and my camera gets shut off in less than 30 minutes I also don't shoot multiple shots constantly maybe one photo every 3 minutes or something like that

Thanks, for your response.

I agree.  It does not seem like the camera is overheating.  It sounds to me the camera is behaving normally and protecting itself from overheating.  The camera will eventually timeout and goto sleep, even if you are not shooting tethered.

There is a menu setting to control the length of time that passes before the camera will “go to sleep”, which is not quite the same as turning itself off.

vector224
Contributor

As far as I can remember, my camera didn't act this way a few months ago, why it suddenly start to act like this 😞 it's really annoying I still didn't find a way to fix it.

@vector224 wrote:

As far as I can remember, my camera didn't act this way a few months ago, why it suddenly start to act like this 😞 it's really annoying I still didn't find a way to fix it.

IT would seem that something has changed in regard to your shooting conditions.  Were you running Windows 11 a few months ago?  Are you using the same computer?

Have performed any firmware updates to the camera or the computer?  I’ve noticed that you are not referring to a laptop.  Are you using a platform that you built yourself?

Is the camera sitting idle when it “turns itself off”?  If so, how long does it set idle before it shuts itself down?  Did you check the power settings in the camera?

Hi there, I am still having the same issue. I am using 2 computers and both act the same way and both run on Windows 11, I have done a firmware update about two weeks ago hoping that it will fix the issue but it didn't. My camera turns off whenever she decides even while I am shooting. it just frustrates me how much I saved and spent to buy this camera and then it does this to me it cost me about $2500 for the body itself and it's been only one year since I bought it I thought I was buying a premium product, but it turns out it doesn't even do the basic stuff!! I might switch to another brand if the issue persists I am very sad. ☹️

vector224
Contributor

I finally solved the issue! It turned out that the problem was because the USB port in my PC was not supplying the USB cable with enough power to run my camera ( Which most PC does by the way, especially for long cables)  that's why it keeps disconnecting, I solved the issue by buying an active USB 3.0 cable from Amazon, and I bought this exact cable and my issue has been fixed:
https://www.amazon.sa/-/en/dp/B07Q9Y1Y9Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I hope this helps anyone who is looking for a solution to this issue because it is extremely annoying and frustrating. 

Announcements