cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image stabilization EOS VR Utility

No1umfan
Contributor

Does anybody know if the image stabilization in VR utility is supposed to use GPU because it doesn’t look like it’s using it even though I have GPU checked in the tools menu. It’s all 100% CPU.

Using R5 with canon dual fisheye lens. 13 th gen intel I7-13700K, Nvidia 4070

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Greetings No1umfan,

The image stabilization function within the EOS VR Utility is a function that uses the CPU for processing rather than the GPU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tiffany

Welcome to the forum!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what Canon camera gear you're using.  Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.  If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE

Thank you

No1umfan
Contributor

Using R5 with canon dual fisheye lens. 13 th gen intel I7-13700K, Nvidia 4070

Greetings No1umfan,

The image stabilization function within the EOS VR Utility is a function that uses the CPU for processing rather than the GPU.

@NatalyaP wrote:

I am curious and wondering why there is even an option to use a GPU if the CPU is all that's going to be used anyway?

To further my confusion, the link that Rick (shadowsports) posted states that "The processing performance should be lower on a computer that has no supporting GPU."  I also found this video that, starting at 5:30 in the timeline, suggests that you should select the GPU for processing, at least on the Mac he is using. I don't have this software, so I have no first hand experience but I do have DPP 4, which also has an option to use the GPU, and it doesn't seem to be that effective in my testing. So maybe the same applies to the latest VR app?

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings, 

This was the only documentation I could find, so thanks to NatalyaP for clarifying. 

https://sas.image.canon/st/en/vru.html

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements