cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when installing the EOS webcam utility - EWCService.exe could not be installed

ElitonLopes
Apprentice

Hello, I keep receiving the error "EWCService.exe could not be installed" (Screenshot below), when trying to install the EOS Webcam utility in my Windows 11.

I have an EOS M50 connected via USD.

I've tried a couple of options suggested in different forums but could not get it resolved. The solutions I've tried included but is not limited to:

1. Installed all windows updates and restart the windows
  2. Disabled the EWCService in service while installation is open on the error screen. Nothing happened, then I returned it to automatically and tried to start the service, however, I got an error.
  3. Ran the windows troubleshooting to 1) Run as administrator and 2) Run on previous version of the windows (e.g. XP, 8, 10 etc)
  4. I've tried to install using different versions of the installer available in different Canon´s webpage. (.e.g. EU, US, etc). I found at least 2 different installers, EOSWebcamUtility-WIN1.2 and EOSWebcamUtilityPro-WIN2.0.30. None of them worked. Same error is given on both of them.

EWCService.exe) could not be installedEWCService.exe) could not be installed

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

There are software and hardware prerequisites to run the Canon apps.  Simply being able to run a version of Windows 10/11 is insufficient.  Those Operating Systems have specific hardware requirements to run properly.

Every forum member that has reported this issue are using home brewed computers they have built from a motherboard, or older computers with upgraded Operating Systems.  Troubleshooting these systems through a chat is very problematic.  Good luck resolving your issue.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi Waddizzle,

Thank you for your reply.

How do you explain the fact that it was previously running on the same desktop? There are no hardware updates, I've just upgraded the windows from 10 to 11.

@Waddizzle wrote:

There are software and hardware prerequisites to run the Canon apps.  Simply being able to run a version of Windows 10/11 is insufficient.  Those Operating Systems have specific hardware requirements to run properly.

Every forum member that has reported this issue are using home brewed computers they have built from a motherboard, or older computers with upgraded Operating Systems.  Troubleshooting these systems through a chat is very problematic.  Good luck resolving your issue.

yeah, not true at all.  I am a sysadmin who currently manages over 4000 Windows devices. I have tried installing this software on multiple newer Dell laptops and desktops, all of which blow the living hell out of the system requirements as listed on Canon's website, most running a nice fresh install of Windows 10 (not upgraded Win 8.1 - LOL!) and have encountered all the same issues as everyone else with EWCService.exe failing to start.

Came here via google search for this issue.  The real reason is this software is hot garbage.

Like I said, it only happens to members with DIY computers they have built.  I have yet to a user report the issue with a platform with a native installation.

While upgraded Operating Systems are not supported, there should not be an issue with an upgrade from Windows to to Windows 11.  Issues arise when users are running platforms that have been upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.

@Waddizzle wrote:

Like I said, it only happens to members with DIY computers they have built.  I have yet to a user report the issue with a platform with a native installation.

While upgraded Operating Systems are not supported, there should not be an issue with an upgrade from Windows to to Windows 11.  Issues arise when users are running platforms that have been upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Huh?  Did you respond without reading my post?  Literally the post you responded to was me reporting this same issue with the service failing to start on several different models of Dell computers, all less than 2 years old running fresh installs of Win 10 22H2. 

All our computers far exceed Canon's minimum requirements.  The software still exhibits the same "service failed to start" behaviour.

There was a recent post by a forum member who reported a solution.  I think the solution was unique to his/her system, though.  The installation was being blocked by a third party app that seems to be similar to Windows Defender.

Most anti-virus software protects your computer by looking outward for intruders.  Windows Defender does the opposite.  It looks inward for signs of tampering.

The member had an app installed that was preventing the installer from updating the registry.  Once the app was configured to allow the installer to write to the registry, the installation process completed without a hitch.  The EOS Webcam Utility fans as it should.

thanks for the info but doubtful this particular issue of the service failing to start has anything to do with antivirus.

I did get it to successfully install on one particular Dell desktop computer that we have.  Identical software and OS to all the other ones which fail.  I suspect the real answer is the software is just poorly written.

Announcements