cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error starting CameraWindow

LyleW
Contributor

a little background. I am a retired application programmer with 35 years experience. I am pretty comfortable with computers. I am also a long, long time Nikon user. I just replaced my D5000  with a used Powershot ELPH 360 HS. Yes, I know it is an older camera. I liked the price and features. One of which was the ability (or so I thought) of using Wi-Fi to transfer pictures to my compjuter. 

The computer is an HP 64bit running Windows 10. Plenty of memory. 

The router is a Netgear router and we are running on the cable companies network.

The camera recognizes the network and connects to it with no problem. 

I actually read the pages in the manual - i know. When I was done installing the camera's software from the Canon site, I tried to open Camera Window and I get the seemingly well known error,  "Cannot detect Camera. . . "

I know this isn't the newest and greatest software from Canon. The date stamp indicates it is more than a few years old. I have looked for updated versions, new drivers, etc. to no avail. 

What can we do?

Now, the camera connects to the network and finds my computer. It will not complete the connection and will give  you a connection failed error. 

By the way, I am about as old as this camea (in dog years anyway) and would appreciate any help that can be given. 

Lyle.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How were able to install CameraWindow on a Windows 10 PC.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/solutions-services/mobile-apps/camerawindo... 

It is a mobile app.

DB2AB7D9-4287-4622-8112-6F7F31D59874.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Computer technology has advanced fairly rapidly over the last decade.  Here is the Support Page for your camera.  I am not certain if the software can run on Windows 10.

https://ciis.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-camer... 

Thanks for the info. 

On my PC, I went to this site, drivers and software, entered the camera model And it detected Win10 and listed a download available. Thought it should work.

@LyleW wrote:

Thanks for the info. 

On my PC, I went to this site, drivers and software, entered the camera model And it detected Win10 and listed a download available. Thought it should work.

Did you click on the “Wireless Help” link at the Product Support page?

247A1595-6AD4-43E1-8E22-058BF88C5B55.jpeg

I watched and followed that video. Found it on you tube, not here. The camera finds my network, let me enter tha pe and connects. It finds my computer, but times out trying to connect.

also followed the steps for the software download and install. No errors or exceptions reported, but the error I mentioned above comes up as soon as you start camera window.

I know that you want to use Wi-Fi, but have tried to use a USB cable?  

The Wi-Fi connection is not very fast.  One misconception I had was that I thought “Wi-Fi” meant the camera is fully networkable.  It is not.  It uses Wi-Fi technology as if were a long-range version of Bluetooth.

Reset the camera to factory defaults.  Remove and reinstall the Canon software.  Try to connect via USB, or follow the Wi-Fi video again.  If you are still having issues, contact Canon Support.

Thanks. 

I've reset the camera once. Nothing changed. I have also ordered a USB cable.  It does seem that the Wi-Fi is not a rocket. Takes a bit to connect to the router.  I really just wanted to avoid another cable from the computer. But, It isn't a biggie. 

If the cable works, I will be happy. 

Thank you for taking the time to help out.

Finally got a cable to connect to the PC and it will work with one minor exception. The camera won't turn on for picture taking with it pluggged in. Not a biggie, though.. . just a bit wierd. 

with the camera connected the CameraWindow software is now giving me a different eerror - that "this device is not supported by the software" ...well, alrighty then. The user guide says it is. 

@LyleW wrote:

Finally got a cable to connect to the PC and it will work with one minor exception. The camera won't turn on for picture taking with it pluggged in. Not a biggie, though.. . just a bit wierd. 

with the camera connected the CameraWindow software is now giving me a different eerror - that "this device is not supported by the software" ...well, alrighty then. The user guide says it is. 

Did you click the link for Wireless Help?  There is far more at the link than th video.  There are also several user guides.

85E9326D-1D92-4D00-B76C-870238F65128.jpeg

Announcements