cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing Software help

juzan42
Contributor

Hi Everyone, 

Would you be so kindly to list what software you use to edit images and a brief description as to why you like it?

I understand that shooting RAW is the best suggested method as you get to keep most of the data within each file. 

I have heard of :

Adobe lightroom

Photoshop

any help would be greatly appreciated. 

70D, T3i
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF-S 10-18mm
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro
EF 50mm f/1.8
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
CS6, Lightroom 5.7
9 REPLIES 9

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Is cost a factor?

In order of cost:

Photoshop Elements 12

Lightroom 5

Photoshop CS6 or subscription.

Why?  These are the best there is.  Ask any pro as 95% of all professional photos go through one of these.  Reason enough?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Is cost a factor?

In order of cost:

Photoshop Elements 12

Lightroom 5

Photoshop CS6 or subscription.

Why?  These are the best there is.  Ask any pro as 95% of all professional photos go through one of these.  Reason enough?

Sorry, no (unless, of course, you're a lemming).

If, as seems to be the case, the OP has never used an editor, all of those are overkill. Start with the very good Canon freebie Digital Photo Professional, or even one of the shareware editors, and then upgrade as your skills and/or requirements increase. For the type of photography I do (landscapes, events, some portraits), DPP has proven highly satisfactory, and I rarely have to use anything else. The added cost and complexity of high-end editors is a waste of time and money if you don't get a provable benefit in return. If that offends or infuriates 95% of professional photographers, so be it.  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob in Boston,

"... all of those are overkill ..."  Smiley Surprised

You usually have pretty good advice until this farb.  Whom do you think PSE is aimed at?  The beginning novice, of course!

It is not a pro level program or any more advanced than the average consumer desires.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob in Boston,

"... all of those are overkill ..."  Smiley Surprised

You usually have pretty good advice until this farb.  Whom do you think PSE is aimed at?  The beginning novice, of course!

It is not a pro level program or any more advanced than the average consumer desires.

Then why pay for it until you're convinced that DPP won't do the job?

Bob

Bob from Boston,

You really are not suggesting a comparison between DPP and PSE?  Because after the fact they are both called editing software there is none!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

You really are not suggesting a comparison between DPP and PSE?  Because after the fact they are both called editing software there is none!

You're starting to lose me, I think. How on earth does that statement square with your previous observation that "[PSE] is not a pro level program or any more advanced than the average consumer desires"? I don't suppose you mean to imply that DPP is more powerful than PSE.

I'll try to make my argument more clearly: There are a number of photo editors more powerful than DPP, but most of them aren't free. (Those that are don't seem to mesh very well with Canon's RAW formats.) So why would you pay for an editor, including Photoshop Elements, until you're sure that your requirements go beyond DPP's capability?

Bob

ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

You're starting to lose me, I think. How on earth does that statement square with your previous observation that "[PSE] is not a pro level program or any more advanced than the average consumer desires"? I don't suppose you mean to imply that DPP is more powerful than PSE.

I'll try to make my argument more clearly: There are a number of photo editors more powerful than DPP, but most of them aren't free. (Those that are don't seem to mesh very well with Canon's RAW formats.) So why would you pay for an editor, including Photoshop Elements, until you're sure that your requirements go beyond DPP's capability?

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Let me clarify. I have tried DPP and I try DPP each time Canon updates it. Each and every time I come away with the same conclusion. It is just too convoluted and lacking in ability.

Now Adobe sells a program, Photoshop Elements which offers the best there is in photo editing software.

It does it all, at least all that beginners and even advanced amateurs need. Granted it is not free but you do get what you pay for and the rather small cost of PSE is worth it to me. Sometimes I see it shipped, free, with certain cameras but I see it all the time advertised for around $90 bucks. And that is for the latest version, I believe 13 now. So, it remains and is my recommendation to ALL new photographers.

Obviously, you are a DPP fan and there is nothing wrong with that. More power to you. But I would think most comparing the two would choose PSE as their editor. The mere fact all DPP users have another editor to complete their work is evidence. You don't need two or more different editors if you start with PSE.   Simple?  Smiley Frustrated

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Bob from Boston,

You have quite the ability to discuss things that nobody was discussing.

Bob's original point was that recommending a software simply because that's what pro's use is a poor recommendation.  I tend to agree.  His second point was: why not use the free software that came with your camera first and see if it does the job.  If not, then look at a third party program.  Also sound advice.  I don't see anywhere where he's comparing the ability of DPP and PSE.  But I find your sensitivity around PSE to always be amusing.

hsbn
Whiz

For batch images editing: Lightroom, Capture One, DXO. These are top notch commerical software for RAW editing right now. But of course, you can use Canon DPP.

For image manipulation and composition: Photoshop, Gimp, Photoshop Element, Paint Shop Pro.

Raw Image editor is optimized to batch processing so that you can work with many images as efficient as possible. Also, most Raw Image Editor nowaday has some kind of catalog so you can manage your images (DAM). But keep in mind that since all RAW editors are parametric (non-destructive), so there is a limit (for now) of how much information you can change. All your original images are unalter when using parametric editor so you can always go back and make changes. One down side, all of these third party software cannot read Canon's proprietary information so almost all settings you changed on the camera will be ignored such as Hight Tone Priority, Noise Reduction, Picture Style, etc (Note: for RAW images only).

Other type of editor is pixel editing like Photoshop. This type of software works great for single image. And you can do anything with it. Replacing the background, adding in new elements, anything is possible.

I use Lightroom to catalog and simple edit all my images. Once in a while, there maybe an image that I need to work more on it then I'll bring it over to Photoshop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements