cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse Sequence Collage/Composite Software Recommendations

mnmoxie
Apprentice

Hi All - I was fortunate to experience and photograph the Total Solar Eclipse this past Monday, April 8.  I got a lot of great pictures and want to put together a sequence of the various phases however, I am having a heck of a time finding software that will do this for me.  It will also be great if DPP 4 could do this but I can't find anywhere it there that could do this either.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  TIA

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You need software that can composite images.

Photoshop Elements can do it.

As well as Affinity for a non-Adobe app.

justadude
Rising Star

I agree with kvbarkley's reply with Photoshop Elements... or even better the full version of Photoshop (my favorite), along with Lightroom).  However, if you are looking for a free software program, check out Gimp.  It is a very good free alternative to Photoshop, and has been around for many years.  It has layers and can create composite images.  

You can find it here... https://www.gimp.org/downloads/://www.gimp.org/downloads/ 

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

If you're looking for software that has a specific feature to composite pictures of an eclipse into a sequence, then I think you're going to be out of luck.  You need to use a photo editor and do this manually -- position each picture in turn to make whatever sequence you want.  That is how most of the pictures you will see online are done.

As others have suggested, you can do this with pretty much any photo editor.  Photoshop, the Gimp (very good and free), etc.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I got a lot of great pictures and want to put together a sequence of the various phases however, I am having a heck of a time finding software that will do this for me.

There’s not app that can do it automatically for you.  

The Canon DPP is basically a digital darkroom.  It can take digital negatives, RAW files, and convert them into digital prints, JPG files.  It is not capable of directly manipulating image content or creating images from scratch.  It is a photo editor.

The apps the others have suggested are all image editors.  You can draw lines, circles, add text, as well as copy and paste content from one image into another.  You would need to “build” a final image from your photo samples. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements