cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS cameras not recording to memory cards when using EOS Utility remote shooting

sparkycpg
Enthusiast

I have not used the EOS Utility for remote shooting for a while now.  I was was sure that the camera both recorded the images to the local camera memory cards and to the remote connected computer HD simultaneously.  That is not happening now and I cannot find any setting to change it.  It is only recording to the remote computer with both my EOS R5 and EOS 5D Mark IV.  Did something change in the software of am I just not remembering things correctly?  I downloaded the latest version 3.13.20.4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Like you, I haven't used it for a year or so, but there used to be an option where you could select computer, card, or both. I just put together some old screen grabs from 2019. Maybe it's still this way... Just not sure.

EOS Utility-3.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Like you, I haven't used it for a year or so, but there used to be an option where you could select computer, card, or both. I just put together some old screen grabs from 2019. Maybe it's still this way... Just not sure.

EOS Utility-3.jpg

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

The latest version of EOSU only saves to the computer.

Screenshot 2021-05-27 083836.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

[ deleted ]

But, what happens when you use Remote Shooting in DPP4?  I thought DPP4 was how Canon wants you to do it now.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

[ deleted ]

But, what happens when you use Remote Shooting in DPP4?  I thought DPP4 was how Canon wants you to do it now.

In Windows 10, if you click on Remote Shooting in DPP4, it opens the EOS Utility but also gives you a dialog box to select a folder for your shots. Since I don't use DPP to remote shoot, I just clicked "Remote Shooting" without a camera attached. If you just connect your camera to your computer, you get the EOS Utility options window. I'm not sure why some folks think the EOS Utility won't allow you to select a file destination. It clearly does in Windows 10, and IIRC, you can make it open files with DPP.

In my original reply, I hadn't used it for a while, but I have been recenty, to shoot birds at our feeder using a 30' USB cable. Attached is a recent screen cap.

EOSU-July-11-2021.jpg

Newton

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

[ deleted ]

In Windows 10, if you click on Remote Shooting in DPP4, it opens the EOS Utility but also gives you a dialog box to select a folder for your shots. Since I don't use DPP to remote shoot, I just clicked "Remote Shooting" without a camera attached. If you just connect your camera to your computer, you get the EOS Utility options window. I'm not sure why some folks think the EOS Utility won't allow you to select a file destination. It clearly does in Windows 10, and IIRC, you can make it open files with DPP.

In my original reply, I hadn't used it for a while, but I have been recenty, to shoot birds at our feeder using a 30' USB cable. Attached is a recent screen cap.

EOSU-July-11-2021.jpg

Newton

I do not think it opens up the EOS Utility, per se.  It is opening up the same GUI used by the EOS Utitlity, with additional options on how to save the files.

Good info newton.

Several years ago, when I had my 1D Mark IV someone posted here that EOSU would not save to camera, only computer. I answered that is does and posted this:

1D Mark IV.jpg

I was challenged for my answer and told that EOSU3 no longer allowed that and posted an earlier version of this page from EOSU manual:

Screenshot 2021-07-12 062522.jpg

Since I don't use remote shooting I have always accepted that person's response as correct.

No where that I can find in the EOSU3 manual is there a note or discussion similar to the EOSU2 manual. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I totally understand, John. It's hard to wade through info sometimes, and I am probably the worse at taking the first thing I read as being gospel. My wife's favorite saying to me is "why don't you read the instructions (or manual)"?

You always do a great job at providing reliable info and links 🙂

Newton

@Waddizzle wrote:

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Newton

I do not think it opens up the EOS Utility, per se.  It is opening up the same GUI used by the EOS Utitlity, with additional options on how to save the files.

It's opening the EOS Utility and adding some stuff that, to me, isn't relevent, i.e., same controls you get in the EOSU standalone which is open right beside it at the same time. For example, if I want to rotate, I will do that in DPP or another editor after Raw conversion. I just want to shoot, download, and convert/edit my Raw files. But that's just my preference and can understand why someone would want to do it straight from DPP.

Also, on my system which is a pretty fast XPS laptop (Dell markets it as a desktop replacement), DPP4 is flat out slow. It made me remember why I don't use DPP when shooting remote.

SS using DPP4 after selecting "Live View" either from DPP or EOSU.

EOSU-DPP4-2.jpg

Newton

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@FloridaDrafter wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

Newton

It's opening the EOS Utility and adding some stuff that, to me, isn't relevent, i.e., same controls you get in the EOSU standalone which is open right beside it at the same time. For example, if I want to rotate, I will do that in DPP or another editor after Raw conversion. I just want to shoot, download, and convert/edit my Raw files. But that's just my preference and can understand why someone would want to do it straight from DPP.

Also, on my system which is a pretty fast XPS laptop (Dell markets it as a desktop replacement), DPP4 is flat out slow. It made me remember why I don't use DPP when shooting remote.

SS using DPP4 after selecting "Live View" either from DPP or EOSU.

Newton

I am not going to argue the diference with you.  One could also argue that Remote Shooting is part of DPP4, not EOSU.  Remote Shooting module is a separate GUI, which can be indexed by either the EOS Utility or Digital Photo Professional. 

Announcements