cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS VR Utility - HEVC Authenticator Not working

Filmman3000
Contributor

Hello. I'm attempting to use the EOS VR Utility. 

I installed it on my Apple M1 Max Macbook pro running Mac OSX Monterey 12.3.1 - I originally installed the software and registered an EOS R5 Camera so that I could download the HEVC Authenticator. I then used the software without any issue. 

I then Purchased the EOS R5C and Attempted to use the app with the new camera. It then asked me to Install the HEVC Authenticator again. I then logged on used the serial from the new camera and downloaded the HEVC Authenticator again and proceeded to install it. 

It went through the process then said it was already installed. The issue is the software asks me to install the authenticator and the authenticator tells me its already installed. 

Is there a way to uninstall the HEVC Authenticator? 

I tried reinstalling the app but the authenticator remained. There is no uninstall option and I'm now stuck with software that I'm paying for that doesn't work for a $5000 camera with a $2000 lens. 

Please direct me to someone who can help resolve this. I know its a fairly technical issue and the person needs to understand this software well to understand what I’m going through.

Also It seems to work fine on Windows when the second authenticator is installed.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Have you tried calling Canon?

That is my first step tomorrow moring. I worry that this is such a Niche problem they may not be able to help but I'll post the result here either way for anyone else having this issue.

I called Canon and spoke to their support team. I'm waiting on a fix at the moment. It's a software bug I believe. Hopefully the software is updated soon! I really don't want to have to reinstall my computer to fix the issue.

sparkyish
Apprentice

Is there any update on this? I am having the same problem. Unable to use EOS VR Utility due to it not "registering" the HEVC Accelerator, even though it is apparently installed. TYIA 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Only the R5 is currently supported.  Please refer to this link.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/product-showcases/cameras-and-lenses/eos-v... 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Filmman3000
Contributor

Thats actually not true. I spent a bunch of time on the phone with the support team and they created a ticket. I looked at the R5 C product page too and  made sure. It works on other computers it's just changing cameras on one computer has issues on M1 mac. I'm still waiting on the results of that support ticket.. That being said becuase of all of this I moved onto the Resolve Method which is working well for me. Also Resolve with its GPU Supported workflow in Fusion is much easier to deal with. If Canon resolved the issue I would have stuck with their software but it's still up in the air with no response back in over a month..

From the Product Page:

Canon VR with RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye Lens Support and Workflow

The EOS R5 C camera is an excellent camera pairing with Canon's RF5.2mm F2.8 L Dual Fisheye Lens to achieve stereoscopic 3D 180° VR video (viewing in 3D requires the use of a compatible Head Mount Display). A plug-in for Adobe® Premiere Pro® and Canon's EOS VR Utility are available to streamline the workflow from shooting to editing.

Thanks for your feedback on your workaround with Resolve. 

I tried installing on two computers: one m1, and one Windows. Neither worked, both continued to say that I needed the HEVC activator even though it was already installed. I am able to use the utility with videos recorded in h264 (8-bit, so loss of color); HEVC has not worked for me on two computers. 

sparkyish
Apprentice

After more searching I discovered that there are multiple versions of the HEVC Activator, and they are camera specific. The HEVC Activator (Canon EOS R5) does not work for the R5 C. Instead, you need to download and install the HEVC Activator (Canon EOS R5 C). 

For whatever reason, I can't find this on Canon's primary website, but I did find it on Canon's Canada site...  
Here's a link for Mac, and here's a link to Windows. This version worked for me with my R5 C on both Windows and Mac, whereas the R5 (non-C) version did not work. Hope this helps someone else! 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements