cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS VR Utility - Dropping / Glitching Frames - HELP

Robo-T
Contributor

Hi, I have an R5C and Dual Fisheye Lens and have been shooting in 8k 60fps Raw and converting to equirectangular mp4s in the EOS VR Utility.  I have discovered after some problem solving that the utility generates drops / glitches randomly but about every 5-6 seconds which is making the footage very jarring in VR.  I have gone back to my old R5 footage and discovered the utility does the same with that! I had been using the premiere pro plugin previously which doesn't have the same problem. I am at my whits end and almost ready to hand the R5C in for an R5 just to get rid of this problem. Has anyone had this occur and can Canon please get in touch to help? 

My setup 

Windows 11
Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 96.0 GB (95.8 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080

Thanks in advance!

10 REPLIES 10

Robo-T
Contributor

From multiple further tests I have discovered it is the HEVC H.265 output format that is to blame. It seems H.264 does not have the same glitches. Assume this is because Canon have not properly tested the H.265 encoder on this new version of the EOS VR utility (v1.2).  It doesn't give you a bit rate option and encodes at 1gbps bit rate (!!). Whereas the H.264 is default 150mbps. Crazy difference. Completely defeats the purpose of shooting in raw (which is the only format Canon allows for 60fps 8k on the R5C). 

Would be good if someone from Canon can confirm they are aware of this issue and that it will be addressed in the next update?  Thanks.  

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Robo-T,

Thanks for checking in and sharing what you've observed when using H.265 with EOS VR Utility. I will pass along your comments to our engineering and development teams for further review.

In the future, you're welcome to visit our site at https://www.usa.canon.com and share your feedback directly by selecting FEEDBACK in the top right corner of the site. If you're not seeing the FEEDBACK link, then try expanding your web browser, check on a computer rather than a mobile device, or try a different web browser like Chrome or Firefox.

Robo-T
Contributor

Hi, can I understand what the latest is here? I am close to returning my camera and the lens given unusable. But wanted to check if anything was being done about this issue first.  

Thanks

Welcome to the Canon Community Forums!

The Forums aren't intended for immediate assistance. We recommend contacting support directly at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) for one-on-one help with this situation. 

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find your support options. 

Robo-T
Contributor

Hi Stephen, I am seeking initially to understand if anyone else has this issue with the EOS VR Utility or if Canon has had this issue reported by others as a first step.  This will isolate whether it is my hardware or an issue with the Canon product. I have called support and they had to google what a dual fisheye lens was.    

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Robo-T,

I wanted to follow up with you and let you know that our engineers are looking into the issue you described.

To help us get a better sense of what you're facing, can you share a video clip that demonstrates the issue and is around 20 seconds long or so? You can upload the footage to a free file-sharing site like Dropbox or Google Drive, make sure that it is accessible for anyone who has the link, and then share the link in your reply.

Following up here @Nick2020, thanks

Following up here @Nick2020, thanks

Robo-T
Contributor

Thanks a lot @Nick2020 I will get the footage ready over the next couple of days and upload.   

Announcements