cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility for Mac — no "Live Mode" in Focus menu (70D)

johnpurlia
Apprentice

I recently began using the EOS Utility (v. 2.1.4) application for remote shooting, and I'm having a difficult time following the instructions for manually focusing the lens. With the lens switched to AF, and after the EOS Utility has opened to show the Remote Live View window, I drag the selection rectangle to the portion of the image where I wish to focus, then click on the magnifying glass to zoom in. According to the instructions, the Focus popup menu should include several focusing options, one of which is supposed to be "Live Mode" which then allows you to use the arrow buttons to step focus the lens.

Unfortunately, "Live Mode" does not show up in this popup menu. I see "Quick Mode" and a variety of AF related choices, but "Live Mode" is no where to be found.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

@johnpurlia wrote:

I recently began using the EOS Utility (v. 2.1.4) application for remote shooting, and I'm having a difficult time following the instructions for manually focusing the lens. With the lens switched to AF, and after the EOS Utility has opened to show the Remote Live View window, I drag the selection rectangle to the portion of the image where I wish to focus, then click on the magnifying glass to zoom in. According to the instructions, the Focus popup menu should include several focusing options, one of which is supposed to be "Live Mode" which then allows you to use the arrow buttons to step focus the lens.

Unfortunately, "Live Mode" does not show up in this popup menu. I see "Quick Mode" and a variety of AF related choices, but "Live Mode" is no where to be found.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks!

I have no actual knowledge of that procedure, so consider the source. But I'd think that for it to work as you intend, the lens would have to be of the type that allows itself to be manually focused while in AF mode. You don't say what lens you're using, but not all lenses fall into that category.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'm using an L-series lens — the EF 17-40mm f/4 USM. I am able to step the focus from EOS Utility when the focus menu is set to one of the other Modes (Quick Mode, for example), but if I click the On button my manual adjustments are discarded and the lens auto-focuses. I seem to be able to retain my manual focus if I switch the AF/MF selector in the UI (not on the lens ,of course, as this has to be physically set to AF in order for remote focusing to work).

What I don't understand is why Live Mode simply doesn't show up in the menu when it is in every piece of literature I've been able to dig up on the subject. Then again, it would seem like the Mac version of EOS Utility is not particularly well maintained... Smiley Frustrated

Announcements