cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Compatibility with EOS 7D and EOS 20D

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

Hi there:

I've installed EOS Utility, and had no issues whatsoever bringing in photos from my 1DX Mark III into the folder I specified.

My question is, if I connect my 7D and 20D (having bought them used, I don't have the necessary cables yet; those should be here this week), will EOS Utility work with those cameras as well? Or are there specific versions of Utility for specific cameras?

Thanks in advance!

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, R6 Mk II, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions. Also, a fair amount of impatience to get my hands on the 200-800 RF…
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You won’t find V2 on the site. But 3.13.3 should install V3 and V2. Did you look in the folder Canon Utilities->EOS Utility? Should be a folder for EOSU3 and EOSU2. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

Some newer operating systems seem to have problems recognizing some older model cameras. The absolutely simplest solution is to use a remote USB card reader to download your images to your desktop or laptop using Windows File Explorer, or the equivalent in a Mac OS. A decent card reader probably costs less than buying more cables. And nothing to plug into your cameras and no additional drain on their batteries. Sounds like wall-to-wall win to me!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You probably need the EOS Utility 2 for those older cameras, which the latest computers and operating systems do not fully support.  A card reader may be your best option.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

A_Random_Dude
Enthusiast

OK, thanks. Works for me. I do have a SanDisk reader I've used for years, and it's perfectly fine. I was just wondering if it would more efficient to use EOS Utility, but I can certainly live with the reader for the older cameras.

300D, 20D, 7D Mk II, 1DX Mk III, R6 Mk II, a few decent lenses, and plenty of questions. Also, a fair amount of impatience to get my hands on the 200-800 RF…

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I would try it first and see if version 3 supports all of the cameras.  I use it my 1DX, 1DX II, 1DX III, 5DS, and 5DS R bodies.

I try to avoid frequent use of card readers to avoid potential damage to the camera card contacts, particularly CF type which aren't nearly as robust as SD card sockets.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

normadel
Authority
Authority

You can transfer files to your computer via USB cable WITHOUT EOS Utility. You can disable EOS Utility from starting automatically when connecting camera to computer. On Windows, Macs and Linux your camera will mount as a drive in File Explorer or on your Desktop. No need for ANY software simply for transferring files. 

You can always start EOS Utility from your Programs menu if you want to use the other functions it has.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

His 7D and 20D requires EOS Utility 2.14.  A cable connection or card reader is the way to go.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

If you go to the macOS Catalina page for 1D X III support and download and install EOSU 3.13.30 it will install EOSU2 which is required for your older cameras.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

So just out of curiosity: I believe it was 3.13.30 I installed yesterday (I'm at work right now and can't check until later), and I used it with my 1DX last evening with no problems. Are you saying that version 2 has been installed as well alongside 3.13.30, that will work for the 7D and 20D? I am using Catalina, BTW.

I believe so. Check your EOS Utility folder

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements