cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 does not recognise Canon EOS 5D Mark IV on my macOS Monterey version 12.2.1

sarahimarland
Contributor

I am trying to tether my Canon EOS 5D Mark IV to my macOS Monterey version 12.2.1. I want to be able to use Lightroom Classic for a 'tethered capture'. 

So I downloaded the latest version of the EOS Utility 3 from the Canon website. It all installed okay, but when I connect my Canon EOS 5D Mark IV to my laptop via a cable, it does not recognise the camera. 

I have tested the cable and it works with the camera and an Android laptop. 

However, Lightroom is installed on my Mac and I would like to continue to use it on my Mac. 

I can't figure out what the problem is when I connect the Camera to my Mac. 

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sarahimarland
Contributor

This video taught me the answer!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIrwigMKhTI

Basically, you can tether straight from Lightroom with no need for the EOS Utility 3. You need to disable the utility so the tethering is handled only by Lightroom. It did not work well at first, but after a few tries it did. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

j3photos
Apprentice

I literally came to the canon community to find out if anyone is experiencing the same issue and found a work around. I wanted to transfer my photos and videos to my external hard drive from canon 5d mark iv and the utility does not recognize my camera, I was using my Mac mini.  I decided to use wifi to transfer my photos and videos but it takes forever. Hopefully someone can provide a workaround. I'm going to download the utility to my MacBook Pro and see if I experience the same issue. 

Thank you for your message. It's comforting to know it's not just me. I also thought about trying to transfer through wifi, but I need the transfer time to be fast and continuous because I want it for shooting in a studio environment with a team. Please let me know how it goes with your MacBook Pro. 

I feel like the utility might be outdated and won't work for new Macs, but I could be wrong. 

@sarahimarland wrote:

I feel like the utility might be outdated and won't work for new Macs, but I could be wrong. 

The latest version of EOSU works with the latest version of macOS. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

sarahimarland
Contributor

This video taught me the answer!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIrwigMKhTI

Basically, you can tether straight from Lightroom with no need for the EOS Utility 3. You need to disable the utility so the tethering is handled only by Lightroom. It did not work well at first, but after a few tries it did. 

Thanks for sharing. Canon still needs to address the issue or find a patch if a user decides not to tether and just connects the camera so the utility can download the images/videos… 

Have you tried starting the EOS Utility manually?  Sometimes the app needs an initial jump start on some platforms.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No patch required. EOSU will connect to my camera on both my PC and my MacBook. Using latest version of EOSU and the OSs.

I start EOSU3 directly.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

This worked. I had to uninstall and reinstall the newer version of EOS Utility 3.16.1 and reboot a few times. It took some time for it to cycle through before it recognized my camera, but it worked. 

Thank you. 

Announcements