cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 and MacBook Pro Fan Noise

darrencoleman
Contributor

I use my M50 to record content through EOS Utility 3 (Version 3.13.30 (3.13.30.6) on my Mac (Big Sur 11.4 (20F71)) but the minute I start to do this the fan goes crazy consuming about 90% of the processor (as identified through Activity Monitor).

This renders most recordings useless due to the fan noise.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the fan noise? This seems like an issue with Canon software as no other software causes this issue

22 REPLIES 22

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
I believe that it has already been pointed out that you are not using that software as it was intended to o be used.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Really? When was that point made?

If the software isn't intended to help me record content I'm shooting with my M50

1) What purpose does it serve?

2) Why is there the option to record the content?

That just doesn't make sense.  

@darrencoleman wrote:

Really? When was that point made?

If the software isn't intended to help me record content I'm shooting with my M50

1) What purpose does it serve?

2) Why is there the option to record the content?

That just doesn't make sense.  

I don't normally shoot video, but I figured I would jump in and see if I could help.

I have a MacBook Air, so it's a lower spec machine.

My camera is a 1D X Mark III.

I started EOSU3, connected the camera and started the video mode.

Left the camera recording for five minutes. No fan nolise; if I put my ear right to the keyboard I could barely hear the fan running.

Shut down the video and shut down EOSU3.

Just checked the computer. Fan no longer running; took about a minute to type to this point.

Unfortunately there are two variables here, but perhaps 1. you need to have your computer checked and 2. maybe you can borrow a different camera and see if the M50 is the culprit.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I recently had a new battery installed in my Mac as this was considered a possible issue but the problem persits. 

I'm afraid I can't get my hands on another M50 - it would be nice to have two 🎅

@darrencoleman wrote:

I recently had a new battery installed in my Mac as this was considered a possible issue but the problem persits. 

I'm afraid I can't get my hands on another M50 - it would be nice to have two 🎅

Don't know where you live, but perhaps a trip to the Apple tech desk with your camera and computer is warranted. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

The technical ability of in-store Apple staff is woeful. Also, the minute any question becomes related to a non-Apple app / product they have zero interest - at best. You clearly have more faith than me. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
The Canon Product Expert Nick2020 told you.

Are you referring to the post on 5th August:

"Lastly, you may wish to experiment with our EOS Webcam Utility, which allows for livestreaming to various platforms using a USB connection. While that program does not record clips, you might be able to record clips from your livestreaming platform of choice."

If so I'm using EOS Utility not EOS Webcam utility and appreciate the latter doesn't record. 

I believe the stream has evolved to Mark35mmF2 who I look forward to hearing from.  

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Nick2020, on Aug 5,

I think the issue may be Micro HDMI to USB-C adapter that you mentioned. EOS Utility was designed to work with a USB connection. I can understand an interest to output from HDMI, but that is sending a signal that involves more processing for the computer.”

@Waddizzle wrote:
Nick2020, on Aug 5,

I think the issue may be Micro HDMI to USB-C adapter that you mentioned. EOS Utility was designed to work with a USB connection. I can understand an interest to output from HDMI, but that is sending a signal that involves more processing for the computer.”

OP corrected his description of connection in Message 5 - Micro USB, not HDMI.

When I tried connecting my camera with HDMI cable (both ends) to the computer EOSU didn't recognize the camera. I don't have an HDMI to USB adapter, so I can't test that.

But it seems moot for this issue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Announcements