cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 and MacBook Pro Fan Noise

darrencoleman
Contributor

I use my M50 to record content through EOS Utility 3 (Version 3.13.30 (3.13.30.6) on my Mac (Big Sur 11.4 (20F71)) but the minute I start to do this the fan goes crazy consuming about 90% of the processor (as identified through Activity Monitor).

This renders most recordings useless due to the fan noise.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the fan noise? This seems like an issue with Canon software as no other software causes this issue

22 REPLIES 22

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi darrencoleman,

Thanks for checking in.

It would help to know a little more about your setup.

• Are you going directly into your computer by USB, or do you have some kind of adapter or input device that you're using?
  • Are you able to shoot clips on the camera without issue?
  • What are you trying to accomplish by recording content through EOS Utility?
  • Are you running any other programs while using EOS Utility?
  • Does it make a difference if you use different camera settings or memory cards?

We look forward to your reply.

thanks for your reply., My responses:

• Are you going directly into your computer by USB, or do you have some kind of adapter or input device that you're using?
    • Micro HDMI to USB-C straight into my Mac
  • Are you able to shoot clips on the camera without issue?
    • Yes. 
  • What are you trying to accomplish by recording content through EOS Utility?
    • I want to be able to start / stop the content I record. Is there other software I can use?
  • Are you running any other programs while using EOS Utility?
    • Only PowerPoint for Mac. This doesn't cause any fan-related issues. 
  • Does it make a difference if you use different camera settings or memory cards?
    • Not that I'm aware of. I only use the video setting on the M50. This was also a problem with a previous memory card. 

Here is a video I created for a Mac expert to show the experience: https://www.loom.com/share/c2d52666f6d24414ac62981e2f5cfcd6

This video (before editing) shows how bad the fan noise is - especially at the start / when I'm not speaking: https://vimeo.com/583285182/fbea517889

Thanks for sending those videos. That does help us get a better sense of what you're facing.

I think the issue may be Micro HDMI to USB-C adapter that you mentioned. EOS Utility was designed to work with a USB connection. I can understand an interest to output from HDMI, but that is sending a signal that involves more processing for the computer.

If you do want to go with an HDMI output, then you may wish to look into a digital recorder with HDMI inputs. Or you could look into an I/O box with an HDMI input and a USB output. At least then the box would do some of the processing.

Another option would be to stand farther away from your computer, so that the noise is minimized.

Lastly, you may wish to experiment with our EOS Webcam Utility, which allows for livestreaming to various platforms using a USB connection. While that program does not record clips, you might be able to record clips from your livestreaming platform of choice.

You can learn more about EOS Webcam Utility and the download on the link below:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility

Thanks for this.

Apologies.I'm using Micro USB - photos attached. 

I'm not worried about using a HDMI output as I'm far from advanced / expert and don't want to get involved with additional equipment expense. 

Standing away from the computer isn't a feasible option as I need to be able to use my computer to move through slides. Also, the fan is so loud that it's just not practically possible as I wouldn't be able to see the screen. 

I'm not live streaming but prerecording content. 

I look forward to your reply as I'm keen to solve this.  

IMG_9266.JPGIMG_9266.JPG

Any more thoughts on this Canon support, please?

Hi there,

Based on what you are experiencing I think more diagnostic information on the computer end might be necessary to see exactly what starts consuming those resources, whether it is specifically EOS Utility or some companion functon that starts when you begin the recording. If the actual functionality of what you are doing is causing the usage to go up and the fans to activate then alternative cooling may be necessary, but you would want to see if the actions consuming those resources are necessary for the functions or unneeded background functions.

Hi there,

Please have a look at this screen recording.

https://www.loom.com/share/c2d52666f6d24414ac62981e2f5cfcd6

It's the EOS utility that consumes the resources then the fan kicks into action. 

Please note I mention it's the battery that goes crazy but it's the fan. 

I look forward to your response / advice.

Hi,

Based on the resources used it makes sense the fan would turn on, aside from disabling the fan (likely overheat) the next straightforward solution would be to increase the cooling ability of the PC or otherwise reduce the heat generation. If the program itself is using that much of the computer's resources it would not seem to be able to be used in the same way with less.

"Based on the resources used it makes sense the fan would turn on" - so why not design software that uses less resource?

"the next straightforward solution would be to increase the cooling ability of the PC or otherwise reduce the heat generation." - But Canon EOS is the only software that cuases this problem so doesn't the problem lie with the way the software has been designed?

"If the program itself is using that much of the computer's resources it would not seem to be able to be used in the same way with less." - so this means Canon EOS Software can't be used with Mac - unless the user is happy for the fan to make an awful lot of noise?

It seems as if this is a very poorly designed piece of software, I'm afraid. 

Announcements