Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 all options grayed out, says camera isn't connected

dan329
Contributor

Using a EOS 5D Mark IV camera using a wifi connection

Running OS 13.6.1 Operating System

Running 3.17.2 EOS Utility

When turning the camera on, the EOS Utility software fires up like it's supposed too automatically.   The computer recognizes that the camera has been turned on.   But when the software starts, all options are grayed out and the software tells me that I must connect a camera to the utility before I can do anything.

I have tried deleting all settings and setting up the camera settings from scratch, this sometimes will allow it to connect, once and then never again.

I have deleted all canon software and reinstalled, this made no difference.

Canon suggested that I try reverting system software to an older software, but this is not an option.   Ventura has been out for over a year, any issue should be resolved by now.

I have spoke with Canon and they were able to reproduce the issue on their end 2 months ago, but so far have done nothing to correct the issue. 

Has anyone ran into issue and found a work around that will consistently work?

9 REPLIES 9

Pilgrim76
Apprentice

right the same issue for MacOS 12.7.1 (Monterey).

I tried to fix in the very same way, tried to use previous versions of EOS Utility – no result.

cable connection works fine.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@dan329 wrote:

Using a EOS 5D Mark IV camera using a wifi connection

Running OS 13.6.1 Operating System

Running 3.17.2 EOS Utility

When turning the camera on, the EOS Utility software fires up like it's supposed too automatically.   The computer recognizes that the camera has been turned on.   But when the software starts, all options are grayed out and the software tells me that I must connect a camera to the utility before I can do anything.

I have tried deleting all settings and setting up the camera settings from scratch, this sometimes will allow it to connect, once and then never again.

I have deleted all canon software and reinstalled, this made no difference.

Canon suggested that I try reverting system software to an older software, but this is not an option.   Ventura has been out for over a year, any issue should be resolved by now.

I have spoke with Canon and they were able to reproduce the issue on their end 2 months ago, but so far have done nothing to correct the issue. 

Has anyone ran into issue and found a work around that will consistently work?

Many folks have been having issues with EOSU and later macOS versions. This is the first report I have seen with a problem with WiFi. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

dkallan
Contributor

Same problem, only when using Wifi.  EOS Utility 3 automatically launches as soon as camera connects to Wifi, but everything stays greyed out.

Which model camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

EOS R5, firmware 1.9.0

Does it work with cable connect?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 5D4 does not even have Wi-Fi. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It does.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 132038.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ah, that’s correct.  It lacks Bluetooth, which can automate Wi-Fi connections and configurations.  My 5Dsr does not have it.

Make sure the camera is set for USB.  It cannot switch between USB and wireless on its own.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements