cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Firmware Update 1.8.3 Availability

jlferrara
Apprentice

I received a Firmware Notice from Canon that the firmware for my EOS R6 has been updated to version 1.8.3.  When I  go to the link for the update, it is not shown in the list.  How do I get access to the firmware update so that I may download 1.8.3 to my R6?  Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What's annoying about Canon's firwmare download pages (to include the one for the R6) are that you may have to pick an older operating system (e.g. macOS Ventura or Windows 10).

The firmware is for the camera and not specific to what operating system you may have on your computer.

In fact, I just downloaded the Windows download onto my Mac.  It's just a zip file and within it is the EOSR6183.FIR file along with instructions in PDF format.

Hopefully Canon will change this in the future to just make a ZIP available and not force users to first pick a computer and operating system.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Did you select an Operating System?  If you visit the page and try to download using a smart device, you may not see anything.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r6 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What's annoying about Canon's firwmare download pages (to include the one for the R6) are that you may have to pick an older operating system (e.g. macOS Ventura or Windows 10).

The firmware is for the camera and not specific to what operating system you may have on your computer.

In fact, I just downloaded the Windows download onto my Mac.  It's just a zip file and within it is the EOSR6183.FIR file along with instructions in PDF format.

Hopefully Canon will change this in the future to just make a ZIP available and not force users to first pick a computer and operating system.

--
Ricky

That is exactly what happened here.  I have the latest version of macOS which didn’t shown any firmware updates in the list.  However, when I changed to the previous version, it was in that list.  I was able to download 1.8.3 and update my camera.  Thanks for your help.

I've downloaded the 1.8.3 firmware update on two different computers (Mac OS 12.7 and MAC OS 14.2)because the .dmg file won't open. Does anyone know if the file is corrupted or how to fix this? Thanks.

Refer to the solution I outlined in This Topic.  Involves adjusting Finder settings.

--
Ricky

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Did you select an Operating System?  If you visit the page and try to download using a smart device, you may not see anything.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/eos-r6 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did, but it’s not shown in the latest version, but it is shown in the previous version.  I downloaded it from there and it worked.  Thanks for your response.

Announcements