cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV How to transfer images directly to folder

RobPix
Apprentice

I am using Canon Utility to transfer images directly to my computer.  Rather than going into the Utility app folder as the images are shot, I would like the images to go immediately into a folder on my desktop that I set up.  Is there a way or a different Canon application that will allow me to accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

You will first need to tell EOSU where you want to store your shots. This screen shot is for both Camera and computer, but you can see what you want to select from it, and, how to get to the menu.

EOSU 3 Save to Camera and Comp-1.jpg

Then, at the bottom of the EOSU pane you should see a "Preferences" tab. Click that, then in the pane that opens, click "Destination Folder". You will also see some other options, but this should get you going.

EOSU Destination-1.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What computer? On the Mac, Image Capture can do this. I do it for geotagging.

Thanks for the quick response. I use Windows computers.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

You will first need to tell EOSU where you want to store your shots. This screen shot is for both Camera and computer, but you can see what you want to select from it, and, how to get to the menu.

EOSU 3 Save to Camera and Comp-1.jpg

Then, at the bottom of the EOSU pane you should see a "Preferences" tab. Click that, then in the pane that opens, click "Destination Folder". You will also see some other options, but this should get you going.

EOSU Destination-1.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

normadel
Authority
Authority

You don't have to use EOS Utility at all just to move files to your computer. 

If you connect them with a USB cable, the camera will appear as a drive in Windows. Open it, open the DCIM folder, and drag & drop the files to wherever you want, like a folder you create on your desktop.

Alternately, take the memory card from the camera and put it in an external card reader.  The the card shows up as a drive. Open it, etc. and move files.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Sorry, RobPix, I had "Remote Shooting" stuck in my brain. To just Auto Transfer, you can initially set that up using "Preferences" on the splash screen. Same method, but you must also go into the "Basic Settings" panel (see below). Hopefully, you figured that one out 🙂

EOSU Destination-2.jpg

Newton

Thanks again. I'll check this all out tomorrow. And call me Robert.

www.robertmitchellimages.net

You are welcome, Robert. I do a lot of remote shooting, so I got confused with my directions and left a bunch of steps out, LOL! EOSU is OK at auto downloads, but you still have to make some directory adjustments from time to time if you are persnickety. If you like folders set up by date, it looks like it will do the job, but I haven't messed with it to that extent. I normally create folders for the days shoot and copy straight from my SD card.

Newton

Frankly, Newton, this is not something I really think too much about. This all came about because I do some pro bono photography for an organization I'm very fond of. I normally use my 5D Mk iii and a WFT-E7a transmitter to print onsite, using Darkroom Core event software. I've decided to sell the Mk iii (I'm buying an R5 tomorrow) and am trying to get the Mk iv to work with the Darkroom software. So far neither the WFT nor the in-camera wifi works properly. 

Announcements