cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop box worth upgrading?

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have used Dropbox to send photos to magazine and newspaper editors in the past. My 2 GB freeby subscription has elapsed. There are several options: one is 2000 GB for $120 per year. Worth it? TIA.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Only you could answer that.  How may photos do you anticipate uploading per month?   And, how long do you need the photos to reside on the service?

Also, 2000 GB is 2 TB.  That's a massive amount.  If you do need such space, also be aware of what your upload speeds would be.  e.g. while my Comcast download speed is over 400 Mbps (50 MBps), upload is throttled to only 12 Mbps (1.5 MBps).  So in order to upload 2 TB worth of data, that would take 370 hours (over 15 days).   Granted, you would most likely not be uploading 2 TB worth each month, but in this example, even uploading one-tenth of that per month would still take 37 hours.

Finally, if this is part of a business, you can look at computing a storage fee and pass that along to your clients.  e.g. if your clients require you to store photos taken for a period of 6 months, see what fraction of your storage costs that would be work that in to your prices.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I had a freebie subscription for 2 GB. It is full with their recent email offering some upgrades at a price...naturally. The lowest priced is 2000 GB at $120 for a year. I have used DB in the past for editors and seemed to be good. Thinking of upgrading to the 2K GB. Your thoughts?

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I have had a free dropbox account for a long time but I hardly ever use it because it seems like there is always some annoyance with it.  I use Smugmug for photo hosting and transfer, it is simple, it works well, and in the four years I have been using it I have had no trouble with it.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here is an article for free photo hosting sites.

15 Best FREE Image Hosting Sites (Upload & Share) in 2023 (guru99.com)

Maybe something here would work for you.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

vapiremove
Apprentice

Whether upgrading to a paid subscription of Dropbox with 2000 GB (2TB) for $120 per year is worth it depends on your specific needs and how frequently you use Dropbox for photo storage and sharing. Here are some factors to consider:

1. Storage Requirements:

• Evaluate your current and future storage needs. If you frequently work with large image files, especially from a high-resolution camera like the Canon EOS T7, having ample storage is crucial.

2. Frequency of Use:

• Consider how often you use Dropbox for sending photos. If it's a regular part of your workflow and you frequently find yourself approaching the storage limit, upgrading may be beneficial.

3. Alternative Solutions:

• Explore other cloud storage options and compare pricing. Different providers may offer varying storage capacities and pricing plans. Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and others are alternatives to consider.

4. Professional Use:

• If you use Dropbox for professional purposes, such as submitting photos to magazines and newspapers, the convenience of having a large storage capacity and additional features like advanced sharing options may justify the cost.

5. Collaboration Features:

• Consider whether you benefit from Dropbox's collaboration features, such as shared folders, commenting, and real-time collaboration. These features might be more valuable in a professional context.

6. Overall Budget:

• Evaluate your overall budget for cloud storage services. Ensure that the cost of the subscription aligns with your budgetary constraints and that you are getting value for the features offered.

7. Security and Reliability:

• Assess Dropbox's security features and reliability. If these factors are crucial to you, especially when dealing with sensitive or important photos, it might influence your decision.

8. Potential Alternatives:

• Check if there are any promotions, discounts, or bundling options available. Sometimes, service providers offer special deals or packages that could make upgrading more cost-effective.

9. Future Growth:

• Consider your plans for future growth in terms of photo storage. Opting for a plan with a higher storage capacity allows you to accommodate the increasing size of your photo library.
Announcements