cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't see file name in Edit Image Window

A DPP quirk I've been meaning to ask about for years:

When I'm in the Edit Image Window, can I get the program to show me the name of the file I'm editing? It displays the fully qualified name of the folder the file is in, but not the name of the file itself. This has always struck me as a goofy omission. Or am I simply missing something that's buried in one of the display options?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I see your point.

You can always click on the "I" box on the bottom line.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Ray-uk
Whiz
It is under the thumbnail, either at the side or bottom depending on how you have the display configured.

@Ray-uk wrote:
It is under the thumbnail, either at the side or bottom depending on how you have the display configured.

Yes, but I don't usually have the thumbnails visible while I'm editing a file. It's not worth losing the space on the screen. They could just as easily display the file name in the Edit Image window itself. They already display the folder name; it's just a few more characters to display the file name too.

Bob

Yes, I see your point.

@Ray-uk wrote:

Yes, I see your point.

Yeah, that does do it; thanks for pointing it out. I still think they should show it on the main "Edit Image" window, but the "i" box is an acceptable substitute. And it lets you select other characteristics to be displayed as well.

Bob

Bob,

I agree that it would be very nice to have it on the main edit image window.  Most of the time I choose the "possible" files from a large group in quick check and mark them with a rating and then use the edit image window setup.  That way it is clear from the thumbnail view on the left which image filename I am currently working with. 

I also wish we could rearrange tool order on the right, I make a few rarely used tools disappear but it would be nice to be able to do the layout to fit typical workflow.  But I do find DPP is really fast for when I am going through a lot of files at once and just need to make fairly minor edits.

Below is how I have mine set up and the biggest improvement I made was going to a very large high res monitor so the things that take up room on the screen are less annoying.  It would still be nice to be able to run DPP in a full screen mode much like a browser and recover a bit more room at the top and bottom of the working screen.

Rodger

DPP view.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Bob,

I agree that it would be very nice to have it on the main edit image window.  Most of the time I choose the "possible" files from a large group in quick check and mark them with a rating and then use the edit image window setup.  That way it is clear from the thumbnail view on the left which image filename I am currently working with. 

I also wish we could rearrange tool order on the right, I make a few rarely used tools disappear but it would be nice to be able to do the layout to fit typical workflow.  But I do find DPP is really fast for when I am going through a lot of files at once and just need to make fairly minor edits.

Below is how I have mine set up and the biggest improvement I made was going to a very large high res monitor so the things that take up room on the screen are less annoying.  It would still be nice to be able to run DPP in a full screen mode much like a browser and recover a bit more room at the top and bottom of the working screen.

Rodger

[picture omitted]

Actually, DPP can be run full-screen, just like a browser. But I'll offer you an even more drastic recommendation: Move the Windows toolbar from the lower edge of the screen to the right-hand edge, and set it to disappear by default. I made that change long ago, and now I wouldn't run it any other way.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I will give that a try.  I switched to a 31" monitor last year which I really like and probably should have gone larger but this one is a good fit for my home office.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Thanks Bob, I will give that a try.  I switched to a 31" monitor last year which I really like and probably should have gone larger but this one is a good fit for my home office.

Rodger

I use a laptop plus two 27-Inch monitors.  I am constantly playing "Where's Waldo" with the mouse.  "Where'd it go?"

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@wq9nsc wrote:

Actually, DPP can be run full-screen, just like a browser. But I'll offer you an even more drastic recommendation: Move the Windows toolbar from the lower edge of the screen to the right-hand edge, and set it to disappear by default. I made that change long ago, and now I wouldn't run it any other way.

When you use multiple monitors you can set it so that all of them are one "extended desktop."  Once done, you now have the option to show the taskbar on all screens, or just your main screen.  

This is where having a graphics card is an advantage.  The standard Intel Grapics Chipset can drive two monitors.  Good graphic can drive four monitors, and are the only ones worth buying.  Some can only drive two monitors/. Their only  advantage over the standard chipset is the separate graphics memory, and usually more of it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements