cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4 file access errors

Nigel555
Contributor

Hi,

I've used DPP4 for a while and up to version 4.9.20 it worked fine. However, when I upgraded to 4.12.70, I found that I was unable to delete any images without using admin rights, and unable to save changes to any images. It is patently untrue that I need admin rights as I have full access to the relevant directory. This is still the case with the latest version. I have added DPP to the list of apps in my antivirus program (Avast) that are allowed to write to protected folders (like "Pictures"), so that isn't it. Can anyone explain what's going on and how to fix it, please.

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nigel555 wrote:

Hi,

I've used DPP4 for a while and up to version 4.9.20 it worked fine. However, when I upgraded to 4.12.70, I found that I was unable to delete any images without using admin rights, and unable to save changes to any images. It is patently untrue that I need admin rights as I have full access to the relevant directory. This is still the case with the latest version. I have added DPP to the list of apps in my antivirus program (Avast) that are allowed to write to protected folders (like "Pictures"), so that isn't it. Can anyone explain what's going on and how to fix it, please.

If you are trying to use DPP to delete files, then the error message is applying to the app not the user.  

You might try running DPP with admin rights, or re-install the application with admin rights.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had to use admin rights to install it (and that was a pain because it wasn't enough to run the installer with admin rights, I actually had to log in as adminiatrator) - and the point is that it complains it can't access anything for write or delete, which wasn't the case before, whereas (from File Expolrer) I can happily edit or delete the files. I'm not prepared to run any application with admin rights when they aren't necessary.

@Nigel555 wrote:

I had to use admin rights to install it (and that was a pain because it wasn't enough to run the installer with admin rights, I actually had to log in as adminiatrator) - and the point is that it complains it can't access anything for write or delete, which wasn't the case before, whereas (from File Expolrer) I can happily edit or delete the files.

I'm not prepared to run any application with admin rights when they aren't necessary.

Your error messages are associated with how your computer is setup to run Windows, not the Canon app.  

Windows 10 has its own rules that both apps and users must follow.  I suggest that you contact Microsoft for assistance because your error messages are coming from the Windows 10 OS, not the Canon app.  

With respect, I don't think that is the case, as (as I said) an earlier version of DPP4, installed identically, works fine. Something is different about the later versions, as far as I can see.

@Nigel555 wrote:

With respect, I don't think that is the case, as (as I said) an earlier version of DPP4, installed identically, works fine. Something is different about the later versions, as far as I can see.

With all due respect, I am neither Canon or Microsoft support, and neither are these forums.  You have been advised to seek professional help from both Canon and Microsoft.  

In any case, you have indicated in your other thread the issue is resolved.  Congratulations.  

My other thread is a completely different problem - DPP4 thinking it's unable to delete or modify files.

@Nigel555 wrote:

My other thread is a completely different problem - DPP4 thinking it's unable to delete or modify files.

"I've used DPP4 for a while and up to version 4.9.20 it worked fine. However, when I upgraded to 4.12.70,"

You also indicated on your other thread that you were using "brand new" computer.  Time for me to bow out.  Your issue is becoming mutually self-contradictory.  I don't know if this is one computer or two.

I have already suggested that you contact the professional help on both threads.  I hope your PC is not home brewed.

Thanks for trying to help anyway. I don't think I'd get anywhere with Microsoft but I will try Canon support after Christmas; I just hoped that someone else here would have seen similar problems and found a solution. Using an old version of the software is a workround but hardly a solution, since eventually I'm going to find an incompatibility, for example if I buy a newer camera

I'm not sure where the contradiction lies, though. I have several computersand saw this first on one I'd been using for many years, then again on the new one I just replaced it with.

I suspect it has something to do with the version of Win 10 you are using and whatever updates have been applied.  I use (and despise) Win 10 64 pro on two HP Z series workstations and a Z book and have no issues with user file privileges with any version of DPP including the current 4.13.10 so the following from Microsoft may help you.  Basically you need to provide user file modification privileges for the family of folders you are using: 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files-winpc/give-permissions-to-files-a...

And in general, the microsoft answers forum is about as useless as Win 10 itself but they do a decent job with this issue but you have to carefully follow the steps because they are interlocking.

Good luck.

Rodger WQ9E

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements