cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional 4... 'HDR Compositing Tool..." No option to save camera data?

robertkjr3d
Enthusiast

It's slightly annoying that when using the DPP ver 4.  The 'Start HDR Compositing Tool', does some good work with the photos in many cases, not in all cases.  But when its used, there seems to be no way to have it save with the 'Camera' data.  You know like 'Camera Maker', 'Camera Model', 'F-Stop', 'Exposure Time', 'ISO-Speed'....

All of that data is lost when saving the file using this method.

EDIT: This is for processing one image at a time.  Not multiple images in the HDR screen.  I realize that the function is called 'Composite', but I've only used the function with one image.  Maybe few have discovered it's usefulness. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

robertkjr3d
Enthusiast

Really the answer to the question involves 3 parts. 1) First I edited my original post above to include.  That this is only about processing "One Image" in the HDR Processing screen.  I've never tried to process more than one at once, and didn't know it's purpose, that of processing more than one, and doing some-sort-of combination of images.  Combining images was not apart of the question at all.   2) As Shadowsports points out.  A feature request seems logical.  (Although his example was a Star Trek motion picture transporter accident).  I will post a simple example, of one photo, not an "oh no they're forming" example. (umm that's a quote from the movie if you didn't get it...)  Could the processing be done in another tool?  Maybe, but the work is done for me already, why not use it, before I have to.  And the results sometimes are where I need it. 3)  Using the Exiftool is the ticket to fix the problem in the mean-time, if its that important to me.  I can add the data back in from the original .CR3 file.  It was not exactly what others had posted on this thread, but rather reminding me of the tool.  So that's what prompted me to look up how to copy one files data to another.  So all I'll need to do is: exiftool -TagsFromFile {file...}.CR3 {File... HDR-Processed}.jpgHDR vs 'Compare and Save'...HDR vs 'Compare and Save'...

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

While others have mentioned that some of the exif data would differ among the photos composited, it would be possible to use exiftool to copy the metadata from one of the raw files that you think represents the image closely enough.

For example, I did this to copy information to a composite:

exiftool -TagsFromFile IMG_6759.CR3 -makernotes -make -model DC_IMG_6759-6764.JPG
exiftool -TagsFromFile IMG_6764.CR3  -Canon:Image:FocusDistanceUpper DC_IMG_6759-6764.JPG

The focus distance for both the first image (FocusDistanceLower) and last image (FocusDistanceUpper) was then in the composite image as well as the ISO, focal length, and shutter speed.

A wild orchid Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis commonly called Slender Ladies' Tresses blooming in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, on October 9, 2023 (focus stack of 6 images) https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2023Oct15_birds_and_cats/2023oct09_wildflower_IMG_6759-6764c.htmlA wild orchid Spiranthes lacera var. gracilis commonly called Slender Ladies' Tresses blooming in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, on October 9, 2023 (focus stack of 6 images) https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2023Oct15_birds_and_cats/2023oct09_wildflower_IMG_6759-6764c.html

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

“.If you cannot write some of the data, I guess the best compromise is to write none of the data.“

If the above statement does not make any to you, then it does not make any sense for me to continue repeating myself.  The solution you want simply doesn’t exist.  Never will.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

robertkjr3d
Enthusiast

Really the answer to the question involves 3 parts. 1) First I edited my original post above to include.  That this is only about processing "One Image" in the HDR Processing screen.  I've never tried to process more than one at once, and didn't know it's purpose, that of processing more than one, and doing some-sort-of combination of images.  Combining images was not apart of the question at all.   2) As Shadowsports points out.  A feature request seems logical.  (Although his example was a Star Trek motion picture transporter accident).  I will post a simple example, of one photo, not an "oh no they're forming" example. (umm that's a quote from the movie if you didn't get it...)  Could the processing be done in another tool?  Maybe, but the work is done for me already, why not use it, before I have to.  And the results sometimes are where I need it. 3)  Using the Exiftool is the ticket to fix the problem in the mean-time, if its that important to me.  I can add the data back in from the original .CR3 file.  It was not exactly what others had posted on this thread, but rather reminding me of the tool.  So that's what prompted me to look up how to copy one files data to another.  So all I'll need to do is: exiftool -TagsFromFile {file...}.CR3 {File... HDR-Processed}.jpgHDR vs 'Compare and Save'...HDR vs 'Compare and Save'...

Exiftool needs two parameters in addition to TagsFromFile when the destination image has had the makernotes section stripped out. Exiftool also needs "-make -model".

exiftool -TagsFromFile IMG_6759.CR3 -makernotes -make -model DC_IMG_6759-6764.JPG

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

That's funny I don't appear to be missing anything.  I was just following the internet instructions.  The image below is from my command.IMG_20231016_173226607_HDR.jpg

Announcements